Second Skin Audio

First enclosure

newb

i am trying to put together my first system,

i believe i have picked out my amp and sub, sundown SAZ-1500D with a dc audio level 4 xl 12''

this will be for daily use,

now i need an enclosure, i would rather buy one from someone that knows more about car audio than myself, but i have a very small trunk opening, so a premade box wont fit inside, it must be assembled inside the trunk, and i can not find a place around where i live to build me a custom box.

with that being typed, i have a few questions,

1- my sub will be in the trunk, facing the rear of the car, same with the port. is there a problem with this?

2- ive seen people mount their speakers inverted, is there a reason other than visual/sub displacement?

3- how much space should i have around the sub? i am trying to put the box in a 36"x 12"x13" (LxWxH) space. can i put a 12" into a box that is 13" high?? 11.5" inside. i figured out a few measurements out as to how the 12 would fit, lmk if it will work.

bottom inside of box- sub frame?(idk what its called.) .25 inch

bottom inside of box- motor 1.375 inch

inside side of box- sub frame 2 inch

inside side of box- motor 3.125 inch

inside back of box- 4.25 inch

box1.png

please and thank you, any help is greatly appreciated.

i would make it bigger and tune it lower, maybe 34hz instead of 38hz

1) subs back port back is very good in most trunk cars so long as the box isnt big enough to restrict air flow into the cabin

2) the only reason to invert is aesthetic or to gain extra volume... in ur case it would help give you an extra .2cuft... but it will raise ur tuning slightly since the internal volume stayed the same but the port takes up less volume

if the sub has a sexy motor like the xl id love to see it inverted

3) u can put a 12" sub in a 13" tall box so long as the cutout diameter for the sub is less than 11.5"

i currently am looking at my tv stand... a box for a 15" Fi Q that is 16" tall... fits perfect and moves the air very efficiently

u should shoot for 2.25cuft or more tuned around 32-35hz

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

ok... i cant get any bigger than this if i put it where i want it,

im not sure whether or not im going to mount it inverted yet, but if i do would it be better to mount it right next to the port (B )?? or to the far right of the box (A)??

box3.png

just go somewhere in between those two boxes

so a 3.5" port should do it for ya, keep the volume under 2.75cuft after all displacement

id choose B... it should use the air more efficiently, position A might make the sub "see" less volume since the port is right behind it

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Archived