Hobby's 2004 Silverado Ex Cab

• 2 weeks later...

Took advantage of the Pre Sale deal from Steve at RD Audio and picked up 2 of the new RD3250v2's. I only had to wait two weeks to get my new toys at a great price. Looks like I get to start figuring out how build my amp rack this weekend. I want to build something nice to show the amps off. No need to rush because it will probably be a month before I have enough money for the alternators, bracket and batteries.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well now that I have my amps I can get started on the rack. I still dont know what look im going for but I do know that I am going to do some glassin. Im making 3 amp trays to start out with. Been out in the shop routing and cutting for a while. I have the frames and bottoms all laid out. Took a break and am about to start looking for some material to stretch over the frames and get something started.

I have seen a few people asking how to cut a nice clean square hole in a piece of wood with a router. If you pay attention you can see how I have always done it. If I need to make multiple pieces for production I would make a permanent template. But for making singles or doubles I just staple stock to the piece Im working on, make my cuts and then pry the pieces off.

Cutting strips of MDF to make a frame to run the collar of my router against.

img4586m.jpg

Drew out the frame and made a few marks around it to allow for the offset of the bit to the collar.

img4588.jpg

Cut the stock to size and stapled it to the work piece.

img4589.jpg

img4590t.jpg

img4591u.jpg

The collar and bit and what your left with after running it around the frame.

img4597k.jpg

img4596t.jpg

img4598e.jpg

• 1 month later...

damn that box looks badass just flat black, maybe some big AQ stickers on it? that would look tight

1997 Pontiac Bonneville Black on Black on Black

15" DC Sound Labs Level 5 w/ quad coil in a T-Line tuned to 35 hz

7" Jensen VM9311TS Touch Screen Flip Out w/ J-Link

Blue Custom Trim

Blue Custom Fiberglass Rear Speaker Pods

Autotek Mean Machine MM2000.1

1/0 Knukonceptz KLMX

Rockford Fosgate Twisted RCA's

2 Audiopipe Anl fuse holders w/ 200A Kicker fuses

2nd battery (Soon to be an Odyssey D3100)

Dynamat Extreme Bulk Pack

Custom False Floor

15% Tint All Around

Custom Painted Stock Rims

My Build Log

Tailights

15" Lvl 5 DC T-Line Build

That was the plan but Im building a new box starting this weekend. Will still badge the new box though.

Well I learned a few things doing this build.

1. If I wanted to just build it and play it I shouldn't have started building without all the parts to finish.

2. If I dont want to build stuff for nothing wait till I have all my stuff.

3. Stop building stuff.

That box looks good but I changed my mind and Im building a new one.

I bought 2 AQ HDC315's but Im reconing them to 18's. I already burned one of the voice coils up on one of them abusing it in my kids car. 1 sub is torn down and I have the motor ready and waiting for the new basket. I still havent messed with the good sub yet. Its going to be hard to cut up a perfectly good sub but thats the plan.

Im still saving for the alts and batteries. Thats the only thing holding me up but its also a lot of money I dont have at the moment.

My amps are also in limbo. One blew and they are both recalled back to RD for replacement. It might take a month to get those back.

Hope I dont change my mind anymore.

Im also not using those trays I started. I got one finished and then changed my mind :rolleyes: I have another idea now. I need to get this thing built and finished. My pile of unused stuff is getting big.

Archived