I want to make some door pods for my 2001 Tahoe does anyone know how to make them?? :help:

What kind of materials do i need??

Thanks in advance! http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/hairtrick.gif

Some people could care less about who the genius is that is making the product... They just want to get it cheap and say "derrrr, look at teh pretty lights in muh dash!"

Because audio is a lifestyle not a hobby.

Things that I am allergic too....

1. Haters
  2. Bitch Notes

The best advice I could give you is to go to Fiberglass Forums, sign up and start browsing and reading. Then read some more and then read some more.

There are multiple ways of doing pods so you just want to find a technique that you think you could handle. You will need fiberglass resin, fiberglass matt or cloth cheap paint brushes and disposable containers to mix up the resin. MDF to make your speaker rings and cloth to stretch over the rings to form the pods. Body filler, spot putty and paint or vinyl to cover the pods with for a nice finish.

X2^ watch a couple of steves builds, and a few more here that I cant seem to remember off hand. I myself learned alot just from this forum alone. alot of people here are incredible with the documentation of their builds. should be enough to get you going :good:

06 2500hd, 6.0L, 4l80e, 4wd, (muah work truck)

7" BDS HC lift kit

(5) 37x13.5R18 Toyo Open Country M/Ts

(5) 18x10 Moto Metal MO962

tablet in lieu of deck

blue tooth interconnect to soundstream eq (for volume control and bass control)

4 Alpine type r 10's

6 cubes net, 80sqin's port, tuned to 33hz

2 brutus brx5000.5's

2 pairs 3" polk audio for a pillars

4 pairs polk audio 6.5 comps

1 pair 8" polk audio for mids

2 xspower d3400 batteries

.....learning alot from meade and his circle of some of the baddest installers ive seen- thanks guys, for not being so cocky and posting the way it should be done!

P.S. Thanks Steve....for the demo!!!! loud as fauk!

The best advice I could give you is to go to Fiberglass Forums, sign up and start browsing and reading. Then read some more and then read some more.

There are multiple ways of doing pods so you just want to find a technique that you think you could handle. You will need fiberglass resin, fiberglass matt or cloth cheap paint brushes and disposable containers to mix up the resin. MDF to make your speaker rings and cloth to stretch over the rings to form the pods. Body filler, spot putty and paint or vinyl to cover the pods with for a nice finish.

He thanks alot!

I'll go check out the fiberglass section for sure! :drinks:

Some people could care less about who the genius is that is making the product... They just want to get it cheap and say "derrrr, look at teh pretty lights in muh dash!"

1. Haters
  2. Bitch Notes

X2^ watch a couple of steves builds, and a few more here that I cant seem to remember off hand. I myself learned alot just from this forum alone. alot of people here are incredible with the documentation of their builds. should be enough to get you going :good:

Thanks alot bro!

Yeah i have learned alot from this forum :ph34r:

1. Haters
  2. Bitch Notes

Def check out fiberglassforums there are some good threads on here too, just be ready to spend some time and doing some sanding, and my best advice is make your project as perfect as possible in the beginning stages, keep out all of the wrinkles in your wrap and you will save yourself a lot of time down the line

-Mark

Host of "CarAudioFabrication" - YouTube Car Audio Tutorial Channel

Forum.png

Check out my forum section here on SMD for my builds and tutorial videos!

Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/CarAudioFabrication

Here you go. This is a step by step of a set of pods I just did for my sons car.

Mock up. Just seeing what would fit and how to arrange things for a good finished appearance.

6.5 mid in the front and a 5.25 in the back.

Posted Image

I was lucky with these doors. The package tray was removable and I used it as part of the base. I removed the tray and then made a bass of the door panel that I could attach to the back of the tray. Made things easier to attach to the door and gave me the top edge to attach my material to. I just used blue painters tape to cover the door panel where I needed a bass and glassed over it with about 3-4 layers of 1.5 oz matt. This gave me some strength so when I stretched the cloth over the edges it didnt warp the bass.

Posted Image

After it hardened and I trimmed it to shape.

Posted Image

Next thing I did was attach the tray to the bass with hot melt glue and some epoxy. I floated the finished rings over the tray with some wood dowels. and took a lot of time with each door side by side trying the best I could to keep each door identical. That was probably the hardest part. Keeping the angles the same. I actually glued a piece of scrap MDF under the 2 rings attaching them together to make it a little easier.

Posted Image

Posted Image

When that was all setup I started stretching the cloth. I used a cotton spandex blend that is very stretchy and dosnt soak up much resin. You have to be careful though and keep it Tight. If your cloth is loose the cloth will sag and you will have more filling and finish work. For large areas I think fleece works best or even ponte.

All the edges are attached with CA glue and I use an activator to speed up the glues drying time. When that was done I soaked the fabric with resin and let it harden.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next I glassed over the pods with about 2 layers of matt let it all harden and then used my angle grinder/sander to clean up all the edges.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I didnt take any pictures of the body filler and all the sanding and finishing but that should be pretty self explanatory. I used some good filler, sanded everything smooth and removed any imperfections, Then used a little spot filler to fill any pinholes or deep scratches.

Then they were primed and painted flat black.

The sanding and finishing is the most time consuming and tedious part. Just dont put to much filler on at one time. You will just be sanding it all off and wasting money. Put on as much as you think you need and build it up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hope this helps. Every car will be different and there are different methods. This is just one example of many. If you can reinforce the pods with fiberglass from the inside you can save a lot of time on the finishing steps.

This was my first time making them wasnt to hard. I started out by tracing the grill that covers the factories on a 1/4 plywood. Cut out the rings for the speakers, mount them on the cut out templet ( i used liquid nails). Then I wraped them in cloth. Brushed on the resin. Added fiberglass mat. Brushed on more resin. I then used body filler(bondo) to smooth out the glass.Sanded it smooth. Primed and painted.

THIS MIGHT NOT BE THE BEST WAY WORKED OUT FOR ME

1. All purpose fiberglass resin

2. Bondo

3.Cloth for wrapping(used thin white T)

4. Sand paper and paint

5.Wood

6.Tube of glaze(for final smoothing)

7.Atleast 6 cheap brushes

8.Patience LOL

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

LIKE I SAID THIS WAS MY FIRST GLASS PROJECT. ALL THE ROUGH EDGES ARE HIDDEN WHEN INSTALLED. THE NEXT PROJECT WILL BE BETTER> CANT LEARN BY NOT TRYING

2001 Tahoe

Alpine IVA-W505

2 OPTIMA's RED/YELLOW

DUAL ALTs 140/220

(2) HIFONICS BXI1280D

(1) HIFONICS ZXI6408

(4) ALPINE SPR-13S 5.25

(4) ALPINE SPR-17S 6.5

(2) KICKER 15L7 at 1 ohm 4.5 CUBIC@38HZ

Archived