Second Skin Audio

Tuned to 28hz and Regret It, In a Way

brsteinbach

tune to 35-36hz and call it done.. tuning that low is stupid imo.. how much music really has notes that low? be real here

thats what I always say almost down to the exact same words

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

Man, I know tuning low is fun, but there are so many variables that it will make you sick

Nightshade got the port questions answered pretty much

But what about all the other variables?

1) you have an infinity sub, he has a Orion. I just looked up the 2, well, looks like the Orion pwns the Infinity spec wise

2) vehicle- larger the vehicle, or placement of box will be a make or break- larger vehicles, with the sub furthest from listening point will play the lows loudest to the human ears- Not to the mic- the mic will like the lows with the subs up close, like in a wall- but there are extents to that as well

3) source unit, YES source units do have different frequency responses, as well as play back devices

not all CD players have a flat frequency response from 5hz-20k hz alot drop down after 50hz or so, even though they will say 20hz-20khz

besides the freq response, either way, there is still transfer function, where a frequency can be doubled, or tripled, and extended lower than the frequency of the box itself regardless of tuning- again this is based on vehicle and location of box, compression factors, etc

All in all, what I would do if I had your equipment and want to go low, I would do a transmission line, or a ported box, with a really small port area- smaller the port area, the longer the throw of the cone- slower the cone moves- yet more air is pushed- More low end

there are reasons why car audio is more based on 40hz, and home audio 20hz ish- because of the size of the room, and quality of play back source

I have a 18" subwoofer which has a Fs of 12.7hz Fs, and a Vas of 22cf- Yet I have it in a 1.5cf sealed box, and 240w/rms in my house, and it RUMBLES the house- I cant wait til I do the 8cf 20hz tuned box for it I plan on doing

I hope that helped you at least a little bit

If you want to go really low, get 2 boxes, 2 subs, tune one at 30hz, and the other at 40hz or even 50hz

the frequency that will be in phase is the difference between the two tuning points, so 10hz-20hz

fun little experiment there

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I may just tune to 34hz. Because I have 2 12's in a 1990 Honda accord, yes big trunk but not nearly enough room for a T-line.

So my plans are to build a new box which will be 4 cubes and I'll tune it to 34hz with 65 square inches off port area. Yea it's a lot of port area but in a way im still tuning kinda low, and the more port area the louder right?

2 Infinity Reference 1252w 12s

4.2 cubic foot box tuned to 28hz

Sub amp: 1 Profile AP1200

Speaker amp: 1 Sony Xplod XM-504z

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X492

4 and 8 Gauge Knu

Big III In 1/0

All in my 90 Accord

f05112e8-c6ca-4f78-9a8d-47be99303c8b_zps

Diamonds are forever, but 9's end that shit fast....

i went from 5 cubes at 30 Hz with very little port area to a tad under 5 cubes (over 4.8 but i think its shy of 5 still) tuned around 32 Hz with 58 in^2 of port and im much happier. Does better all across the board. Went from hittin a 139.0 on music to a 141.0 on music before i added the new bracing (also changed the amp from a new kenwood to an old RF 1000.) Listened to the old and current box on the new amp and the new box sounds much better and louder. Added box bracing lost alot of flex and rounded over port edges. So well see how much it helped next time i have access to a meter.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

If you want to go really low, get 2 boxes, 2 subs, tune one at 30hz, and the other at 40hz or even 50hz

the frequency that will be in phase is the difference between the two tuning points, so 10hz-20hz

fun little experiment there

that's very interesting. you're a smart SOB :friends:

Archived