Whats so great about components vs coaxials?

I was planning on sooner or later switching my stock speakers and many people on here and a person in my home town are using components. That friends car has the most clear sound quality i think you can get but whats the difference between those and coaxials? I know the basics about both speakers one has a tweeter in the woofer and one has the mid bass usually 6.5 and a seperate tweeter with a crossover. I was planning on the t3 coaxials or components and both are 100rms and i plan on the dc 120.4 or sundown 100.4. Once this topic is done id like it to be stickied so others know the benefits of both.

Edited by dccavalier

2010 Silverado

18" DC XL 18

DC 2k

XS Power Batts

I saw you lookin :D

components you can separate the sound and gives you a lot more freedom with how you want your sound stage to sound.

a lot of people place the tweeter in the a-pillar and the mid bass in the door to bring the stage up to listening level.

coaxials restrict you to a center axis where your freedom is pointing the tweeter in the general listening position.

components you have a crossover which is something some people don't want to wire up and clutter up everything.

coaxials have built in crossovers

I'm sure there's more but thats just a few I know off the top of my head.

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

components you can separate the sound and gives you a lot more freedom with how you want your sound stage to sound.

a lot of people place the tweeter in the a-pillar and the mid bass in the door to bring the stage up to listening level.

coaxials restrict you to a center axis where your freedom is pointing the tweeter in the general listening position.

components you have a crossover which is something some people don't want to wire up and clutter up everything.

x2

and when you can separate you will get a much cleaner sound and like he said you can really tune it to your liking vs a built in cross over that sucks and allows you no adjustments

So the only real benefit is the positioning of the speaker and tweeter?

edit- so i could get all the highs to the tweeter and i noticed with just a 6.5 alot of highs still go through it what would be the optimum setting for that i know every application is different but still wondering. I think in the long run the hassle of components are worth it. Im just afraid i wont be able to hear the mid bass anyways?

Edited by dccavalier

2010 Silverado

18" DC XL 18

DC 2k

XS Power Batts

a lot of ppl say to keep the tweeter and the woofer as close together as possible for the best sound, but that kind of defeats the purpose of component speakers. You might as well buy some co-axles if you are gonna keep them right next to each other.

But some people prefer their tweeters in different places like under the seat facing up or in the a pillar facing the passenger/driver, or in the center console facing the passenger/driver. It all depends on you and what sounds best for you, If it sounds good to you with both the tweeter and the woofer close together then you might as well just get the coax, but if you like the tweeter higher up then get the comps.

DSC06330-1.jpg

91' Jeep Cherokee - The Heep

Just Empty Every Pocket

96' Volvo 960 - The B◘x

[sPL_4_U]

HiFonics - Alpine

Pioneer - Clarion

Infinity - Kicker

KnuKonceptz

That's why I loved Kenwood DualMags. The were a coax speaker that you could run the mids/high separately, and they were relatively shallow so fitment in my Civic was plug and play. And the tweeter wasn't just stuck in the middle of the mid, it was on a separate "arm" that was free and clear of the mid.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

So the only real benefit is the positioning of the speaker and tweeter?

edit- so i could get all the highs to the tweeter and i noticed with just a 6.5 alot of highs still go through it what would be the optimum setting for that i know every application is different but still wondering. I think in the long run the hassle of components are worth it. Im just afraid i wont be able to hear the mid bass anyways?

and the better options with the cross over.

it really is a significant difference between the two

8 DC Level 4 M2 15s2 DC Audio 5ks26^2 clamshell tuned to 30hz9 Kinetik 1400sMechman externally reg'd 340 S seriesin a 99 Jeep Cherokee :DClick to see J00bles' Youtube Channel

what I learned from RF is keep the tweeter and mid as close together otherwise separate them with 7" in between otherwise frequencies cross and cancel out.

and yes some "highs" come through the mid but what you are really hearing is the low end of the vocals and some other misc instruments.

when I was going through my editing suite manual they had a nice chart of the different frequencies and what they are called.

I would agree with you that they are worth the "hassle" of installing because IMO coax's seem a little to cheap if you want to make an impression with your mids and highs.

I'm sure monte could school me all day on that statement and he has probably ran some that sound amazing but thats just my opinion

hz2.jpg

hz.jpg

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

what I learned from RF is keep the tweeter and mid as close together otherwise separate them with 7" in between otherwise frequencies cross and cancel out.

and yes some "highs" come through the mid but what you are really hearing is the low end of the vocals and some other misc instruments.

when I was going through my editing suite manual they had a nice chart of the different frequencies and what they are called.

I would agree with you that they are worth the "hassle" of installing because IMO coax's seem a little to cheap if you want to make an impression with your mids and highs.

I'm sure monte could school me all day on that statement and he has probably ran some that sound amazing but thats just my opinion

for the most part, you're spot on. I have run some coax that sounded amazing but I have yet to find some that were better than components. If you have the space and money to run components then it's definitely the way to go, but if you have issues either either of those then you can find some coax that are pretty damn good. Edited by SQMonte

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f