Second Skin Audio

Tips on building enclosures.

On every site previous, there has been a whole post of usefull information involving subwoofer enclosures.

I couldn't find one here anywhere, and it looks like there are some people who could use some advice.

Here's my biggest tip: Go easy on the screws and let the wood glue do it's job. I don't approve of staples or nail guns, cuz you still need a little support, but when you put the screws within 2" of each-other (I like at least 3-4" spaced) and the same amount at end of the joint, you are more likely to split the wood and weaken the joint tremendously.

Now, this isn't the best box in the world, but I can explain with a picture of mine.

(If it looks a little different from most audio shop boxes, it's because I double-baffled it.)

dsc00410c.jpg

3-4" between screws and no closer than 3" to the end of the joint.

If this is a needed post, it would be cool for the professionals to hand out some needed tips for the apprentice box builder.

If it's not needed or in the wrong subforum, then I won't be sad to see it die.

Edited by 3gAccord

My latest project; 87 Accord Hatchback!... Only got my 6 1/2's in it right now... I'm working on shining my engine to show quality right now, then I'll put it in. System will come around the 1st.

damn that does seem like a lot of screws from what ive read is that to moslty use glue nad a few nails as too much nails take away from the boxes strength

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

damn that does seem like a lot of screws from what ive read is that to moslty use glue nad a few nails as too much nails take away from the boxes strength

The reason I used a lot of screws for the front port is to get a little better seal so I didn't have to use a lot of silicone and have to silicone it every time I change ports, but even that wasn't enough and I had to silicone a lot more than I wanted to.

My latest project; 87 Accord Hatchback!... Only got my 6 1/2's in it right now... I'm working on shining my engine to show quality right now, then I'll put it in. System will come around the 1st.

I tried the glue and clamp method and it lasted about 2 days of hard use. Only 1000watts RMS, too.

tip: don't use silicone for that.

i use rubber matts that i get from work.

they are about 1/16th inch thick (used for floor matts) cut them to the shape of the port and put them between the port and the box = reusable every time and perfect seal.

Holy crap, BB! I didn't even think of that... It's genious! Like squishy tape? I don't know where I would get any.

i'm not sure where my work buys them from but i know people that have used something like this.

you want the adhesive backing ones. makes it super easy.

http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/neoprene-ru...rcial-grade.htm

Dont be scarred of glue, is the best tip i have. Its your best friend and get it thick and everywhere..but let it dry correctly of course.

Use a Straight piece of wood, or Straight edge, clamped to your sheet to cut oerfect straight lines..Just cuzz you gotta tablesaw doesnt mean its gonna be a straight cut.

93 Chevy Silverado

Crossfire,Dayton

Soon to have 6 Lvl4 15s

DC Audio Dealer and Team Member

nothing wrong with using staples or bradnails at all.

if you blew apart a box that was using glue only, you didnt use the right glue or not enough, because I have done it many times and not had 1 problem.

using the proper wood glue is essential to having good results I like titebond 2

I agree with not using as many screws and having them spaced out like 3 inches or so.

allways predrill and counter sink them if you can it will help with splitting.

never screw/ on a corner your asking for problems with spitting.