Second Skin Audio

my newest box (beginnin sketches)

everytime I build a friggin box, I always gotta make it complicated....but anyway, this box I want to start in 2 1/2 weeks while I have off from school. Ive done alot of the calc. myself, but really want a second (or third) opinion on if its right/what you think...heres pics and dimensions...

612001-1.jpg

612002-1.jpg

pics are kinda dark so dimensions are...

L= 28" on bottom, 16" on top

W= 30"

H= 16"

port- 4" wide, 14.5" height (16"-1.5" for MDF thickness), and 18" deep

after calc. the total airspace, I took it to 12volt.com for that port length to tune it to 38 Hz

for airspace I got around 4.3 cubes with sub displacement...with .75" MDF for thickness

but my question is port displacement...and the angle of the 2nd port wall...how much airspace would the port be? and should I angle the Lport inside the box or just leave it as a 90 deg. angle?...also, pls disregard the mesh near the sub, thats some FG work Im gonna do to the face to angle the sub closer to 90 deg. so the mag doesnt hit the base of the box...

also, any pro box builders that would be willing to calc this up and put it in BBP or sketchup for me would be great and Ill throw ya a little somethin through paypal...

Edited by mbdblue

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

I got a model going in SketchUp. I kept the port vertical. I don't know what difference it would make in sound if it were slanted, but I can put it that way if you want. I also kept the sub hole (I'm assuming a 15" from teh pics) flush against the front panel, seeing as I don't know what angle it's going to be placed at. If you figure that out, I can add it in and color it so you can tell what it is.

Port View:

OriginalPorted1.png

View through sub hole:

OriginalPorted2.png

Down through top:

OriginalPorted3.png

Another Front/Port view:

OriginalPorted4.png

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

that looks good man thanks alot!

anyone else have opinions on the inside port bein slanted?

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

think Ive decided that, that little 5" piece isnt necessary....according to 12 volt, I only need 18.65" of port and I can do it with that one wall...Im gonna angle cut the 1 wall though so itll just be a flat trapazoid (sp?)...

I don't think the slant port will cause any problems, building it is the only way to find out. Good luck!

thats very true man! 2 weeks and I cant wait....its been too long since my poor XL is suffering in a box a little too small...but is still performing nicely...never smelled any coil or anything...

this is what Im thinkin of now...

OriginalPorted3-1.png

or this...(honestly, I dont think Ill do this just cuz I dont know how it would screw with the tuning/sound)

OriginalPorted3moded.png

as far as i know dont you have to slant the back of the port to match the slant on the back of the box ? ive always done it. i was told the port had to stay in line the box to stay even ie: 7 in wide port has to be 7 in off the back wall, i could be wrong though please correct me if im wrong here

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Pioneer Mids & Highs

JL Audio 500/5

Hertz ES 300.5

SecondSkinAudi0

OPTIMA

Stinger

I'm pretty sure that, technically, what you're measuring is the port area, not the port length. Meaning if you angled the back wall, you'd then have to make the port longer to make up for the loss of area. I'll make a few edits to the model to try and describe what I'm thinking...

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

see I thought that too crossfire, but then I thought of an aeroport and they are usually just always straight...

Straight port, 18.65" base:

OriginalPortedLongPort1.png

Here's the model with the port slanted (18.65" port base):

OriginalPortedLongPortSlant.png

And here's another with a longer port base which retains the same port area as the original box model:

OriginalPortedLongPortSlant2.png

The point of making the port longer (lengthened to 21.5" on the bottom) was to maintain the original port area of 299 in. I'm not sure, but I believe this will let it retain it's original tuning frequency. If there are any experienced or more knowledgeable box builders out there, can you shed some light on this mystery?

Edited by Maxim

wtf is lolcats?