Sundown Audio

Really Bad Burning Smell From Amp?

mtxcivic07

Today my friends and I were bumping down the road in his car and his bass slowly began to get just a little quieter and all of a sudden we smelled this really bad burning smell and the bass cut off.... he immediately turned it down and we stopped to take a look at it....I looked at all his connections, from batt. to ground, to sub wiring (its only wired to 2 ohms too). Everything is hooked up perfectly fine. The amp still works, but lets off a small burning smell when you turn it up loud,,, it is still very loud. the amp is just like mine, an MTX 7801. it was a very bad burning smell.. I was at first thinking it might be a burned out fuse on his amp, but i dont think a fuse would cause a burning smell like that. what do you guys think it could possibly be???? help would be appreciated.

18's in a wall to come....Its not all about the posts....check the member #...

is that after a long time of bumpin though. cuz my old amp did that sumtimes like after about a hour and a half or bumpin it would smell. not strong but u could tell it was the amp and it was their . might wana get a better amp for the subs.

Gota have my rear view shakin and my seats vibratin'.

(2) 12" Diamond D3

(1) DEI Directed Audio 2400D

(1) Kicker L5 15"

(1) Rockford Fosgate P5002

(2) 12" Fosgate P2's

(2) 15" Fosgate P2

^^Not all hooked up at once, i rotate. Its all i got.^^

Today my friends and I were bumping down the road in his car and his bass slowly began to get just a little quieter and all of a sudden we smelled this really bad burning smell and the bass cut off.... he immediately turned it down and we stopped to take a look at it....I looked at all his connections, from batt. to ground, to sub wiring (its only wired to 2 ohms too). Everything is hooked up perfectly fine. The amp still works, but lets off a small burning smell when you turn it up loud,,, it is still very loud. the amp is just like mine, an MTX 7801. it was a very bad burning smell.. I was at first thinking it might be a burned out fuse on his amp, but i dont think a fuse would cause a burning smell like that. what do you guys think it could possibly be???? help would be appreciated.

Sounds like you have a mosfet on it's way out. Has he ever had the amp wired in a different manner?

4 15" FI Q D2's in 12 cubes tuned to 32hz

1- T1000.1bd's

3 Maxx 29 deep cycles

4 runs of 1/0 gauge

-Big 3

-Trunk sealed off from the cabin

Custom 15.8 dual-volt switching MLA module

All in a CAR.

Archived