slugdub Posted September 9, 2009 Report Posted September 9, 2009 EDIT: Long rambling question that I cleaned up below, thanks! So I recently switched from a closed box (provided free by a forum user, thank you!) and moved my two 12" subs to my old ported box (that I did not make and do not know the dimensions of but it seems to work well). When I installed the subs and the Infinity Reference 611a (657w total going to 2 ohm DVC's) intially, I kept the gain low. Then I used a multitool to test the voltage as the forum recommends. Well I later noticed that the clip light was coming on at some loud volumes so turned down the gain a bit. Turns out the readings I got didn't make sense with what the chart said it was supposed to be for voltage. I don't know where the mistake was, but possibly the cheap harbor freight tool (it was $2!!!). Fast forward to the new box (or old one rather). The second I turn it on the speakers make this loud noise (locking up?) and spit polyfil out the ports all over my car. I turned it down and went on my way. Well I just was not happy with the sound and adjusted my eq until the subs were barely heard. There was also a TON of alternator wine despite my seperating the wires (this has annoyed me since day 1 with this new amp and subs). Turns out I've been clipping the damn speakers almost nonstop since I switched boxes or maybe longer. I had to turn the gain down from like 65% to about 30% just to stop the speakers from clipping at all. The engine noise is gone and the SQ is great, but its not loud. Not 657 RMS loud at all! If there were child protective service for CVR12's then they would have come taken my babies away. Did I damage them? WTF is going on here that I have to have the gain so low?????? They hardly move but sound great.
slugdub Posted September 14, 2009 Author Report Posted September 14, 2009 Maybe I am deaf and maybe I should be more concise: What are some possible causes that would force you to have your gain turned down very low (without clipping)? I know box type/size changes some of the parameters that the manufacturer states, but I assumed that was just CYA for them.
Torres Posted September 15, 2009 Report Posted September 15, 2009 a head unit preout voltage of 6 volts will cause you to have the gain lower than a head unit with 2 volt preouts
slugdub Posted September 15, 2009 Author Report Posted September 15, 2009 a head unit preout voltage of 6 volts will cause you to have the gain lower than a head unit with 2 volt preouts Makes sense, so adjusting the SRC levels can possibly increase voltage or no? I keep worrying that I'm going to clip it again by messing with settings. This is where having a nice amp remote might come in handy, do they make ones with clip indicators on them for those like me? Hmm
Lowroll Posted September 15, 2009 Report Posted September 15, 2009 usually the clip indicators are on the amp by the power light & not on the remote. Kinda inconvenient but, if your amp is set right you dont have to worry about clipping anyway. Current System: Pioneer 6900 HU Front Stage: (for now) Soundstream tarantula 5.25 in the doors Soundstream tarantula 4x6 in the dash Kenwood 400.4 for mids & highs Bass: 4 Soundstream RW-12's 2 Power Acoustik Stax 4000/1D's single chamber box, 2.65 cubes. Currently under the knife being bagged Rebuilding err'thang
raytard Posted September 15, 2009 Report Posted September 15, 2009 the gain on the amp is a calibration tool, i've seen guys run it on the absolute minimum and still clip at half volume because the rca's had so much voltage going through them(7v clarion eq/linedriver and an old kicker amp intended for no more than a 4v input) do not worry about where it is at, that is irrelevant, all that matters is that it is low enough that you're not clipping at your highest listening volume (honestly, mine is vol 54/61, bass +4....but usually its 48/61 and bass-2, which means when i'm everyday listening to it i'm far from clipping, its only when i blast it to show off that i start getting into the clipping zone) and its going to sound quiter, welcome to 600 and some watts. that amp does like 900 when its doing a nice 5%clipped signal, so you jjust experienced what an extra 300 watts would sound like (from someone who had 2cvr's and an infinity 1600a and did the exact same thing ) Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now) Team DC
slugdub Posted September 16, 2009 Author Report Posted September 16, 2009 the gain on the amp is a calibration tool, i've seen guys run it on the absolute minimum and still clip at half volume because the rca's had so much voltage going through them(7v clarion eq/linedriver and an old kicker amp intended for no more than a 4v input)do not worry about where it is at, that is irrelevant, all that matters is that it is low enough that you're not clipping at your highest listening volume (honestly, mine is vol 54/61, bass +4....but usually its 48/61 and bass-2, which means when i'm everyday listening to it i'm far from clipping, its only when i blast it to show off that i start getting into the clipping zone) and its going to sound quiter, welcome to 600 and some watts. that amp does like 900 when its doing a nice 5%clipped signal, so you jjust experienced what an extra 300 watts would sound like (from someone who had 2cvr's and an infinity 1600a and did the exact same thing ) Ok, thank you very much for the help. At least the SQ is fantastic and no more alternator noise (embarassing to have people hear that). I just hope I didn't damage them. I'm super paranoid about clipping now. So I need to keep an eye on those levels then huh? I meant to say subwoofer +1 not SRC volume.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.