Sonic Electronix

Today I was on my way home to finally install my second battery and im bumpin pretty hard and for the first time, my amp starts to let off this awful smell. I also noticed it was pretty hot. The amp is an Orion HCCA D5000 and its pushing an FI BTL 18. The gain is all the way down on the amp and the sub level on the head unit is on -3 with no bass boost. So, I just went on and installed my second battery when I got home and turned it up and theres the smell again. Then, I opened the amp to see if anything was messed up inside, and everything seemed fine. Like I said today was the first time its ever done it and Im starting to get frustrated. Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sounds like you might have it wired down to low. Whats the ohm load on it?

Current System:

Pioneer 6900 HU

Front Stage: (for now)

Soundstream tarantula 5.25 in the doors

Soundstream tarantula 4x6 in the dash

Kenwood 400.4 for mids & highs

Bass:

4 Soundstream RW-12's

2 Power Acoustik Stax 4000/1D's

single chamber box, 2.65 cubes.

Currently under the knife being bagged

Rebuilding err'thang

Whats the charging system like?

Hows the power and grounds?

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

I have the big 3 with a stock alt. Power and grounds were all fixed a few days ago.

So, its never done this in the last 2 months. a few days ago you redid power & ground & now its smoking, might want to go and check them again. & to change your ohm load you have to rewire your voicecoils. How do you get .7 with one sub?

Current System:

Pioneer 6900 HU

Front Stage: (for now)

Soundstream tarantula 5.25 in the doors

Soundstream tarantula 4x6 in the dash

Kenwood 400.4 for mids & highs

Bass:

4 Soundstream RW-12's

2 Power Acoustik Stax 4000/1D's

single chamber box, 2.65 cubes.

Currently under the knife being bagged

Rebuilding err'thang

So, its never done this in the last 2 months. a few days ago you redid power & ground & now its smoking, might want to go and check them again. & to change your ohm load you have to rewire your voicecoils. How do you get .7 with one sub?

Dual 2's read ~0.7 ohms on a multimeter in parallel ;)

Are you sure the smell is your amp, not your sub? Smelly amps tend to make a sound like popcorn then stop working altogether.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!