hey guys,

I had an awesome day at the show yesterday :drinks: even though there wasnt as many show cars or spectators their as the last few years the sound off was the biggest ever, over 30 competitors which is huge for a show in little Adelaide South Australia lol... major props must go to the organisers of the sound off after official DB Drags sanctioning was dropped a week and a half before the show due to "not enough interest"... the guys worked there asses off to get a new format drawn up and competitors informed, the massive numbers are a testament to their dediacation :)

i ended up coming 4th in Pro Open due to having a wall, i was never gonna win with the rest of the cars in my class being 150+ trailered SPL cars but i was very happy with my final score of 143.7db @ 32hz, i also did over 130 @ 20hz so this thing definatly hits the lows lol :)

P1070474.jpg

at the start of the day i managed to snag a spot in the show car area before the organisers noticed and put me back in the spl corner lol...

P1070433.jpg

one of my competitors, 2 DD 3518s off 10kw in a holden (opel) combo, it was doing 153+ at 36hz and doing demos all day :)

P1070351.jpg

the Team SS Audio toyota corolla wagon SSNW car, they are mates of mine gunning for the SSNW australian record and this was their debut, hit 156.8 with 2 DD 9915s and 2 DD m4a's, much bigger numbers still to come :)

P1070456.jpg

and the ex. street max australian record holder, he lost a sub before the comp so was only running 1 DD 9518 off 2 Z2LV's (i think) in a mazda hatch he got 155+...

P1070446.jpg

the laser also did well on its debut scoring a 142.9 @ 51hz and taking out Novice hatch,

P1070438.jpg

we beat our main competitor and rival Team LOLZ by 0.5db, they have the same car, amp and batteries but are running 2 RE SEx 15"s so i was very happy we beat them :)

P1070442.jpg

heres a pic of everyone packing up at the end of the day:

P1070489.jpg

hopefully il find some vids people took soon and get them up :)

vandersexx-1.jpgdeafaz-1.jpg

^^^ clicky pics for build logs ^^^

Australia-03-june.gif

Nice man, looks like you had a lot of fun, i wish there was shows like that around here. Scores weren't to bad either and I'm sure those other 3 people that beat you had A LOT more invested in there setup, so all in all you did damn good.

2000 White Saturn SL2

Kenwood KDC-248U Head Unit

1 Rockrod Fosgate HX2 punch DVC 12

1 Rockford Fosgate R500-1 amp

Stock Mids & Highs.

Budget Build, I spent about 330$ for the setup.

but its a crx, if you cant fart and do a 150 in a crx there is something wrong...

haha defianlty lol, probably at least 10X more... the Team SS corolla i know has over $20,000 in it vs. my just over $2000 lol

was a good fun day though, and im happy with how i went, this car was never made for numbers, the crowds loved it though which is what i built it for :)

Australia-03-june.gif

Nice numbers, I had always wanted to get my JBLs metered but no one around here had a TermLab, and I just sold them this weekend. I owned them for 4 years and fed them each about 450 rms for the last year I had them and never had any problems with them, JBL makes some quality stuff!

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

Not gonna lie, im jealous of your hair tricks :D It will be a while before i can invest that kind of money into a system. First i need to buy a car worth putting a system like that in.

2000 White Saturn SL2

Kenwood KDC-248U Head Unit

1 Rockrod Fosgate HX2 punch DVC 12

1 Rockford Fosgate R500-1 amp

Stock Mids & Highs.

Budget Build, I spent about 330$ for the setup.

but its a crx, if you cant fart and do a 150 in a crx there is something wrong...

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys, i havnt had internet in a while so i havnt been on here but ive done a couple of things to the wagon :)

after Autosalon one of my headlights blew so i got some new Narva Arctic white globes, there a lot whiter and brighter than stock so im happy with that :)

also after autosalon i started aiming to get bigger numbers outta the beast, i made a quick little 10" sony test box

post-32949-128134319587.jpg

then used my handheld spl meter to find the resonant frequency of the car

post-32949-128134343315.jpg

post-32949-128134350806.jpg

i worked out that it was peaking at either 42 or 49hz, i thought 42 seemed a bit low for the car so i made a new port to peak at 49hz...

the test of my new port was last weekend at a sound off at a local car audio shop, turns out it failed miserably, i burped from 40hz to 55hz to make sure i didnt miss the peak and it maxed out at 140.8 at 41hz :(

after that i put the low port back in and did a 144.0 @32hz! a new pb! :D, the last round of the comp was a bassrace run and i did a 142.3 on "gucci mayne - waddle"

after the comp i played around with the term lab a bit and did a 146.8db outlaw... the building didnt like that very much though lol :P

i did plenty of demos and stuff throughout the day too, hopefully the people that took vids will put them up soon so i can post them here :)

thanks for lookin, next update will probably include some SQ tuning and comp results from next weekend :)

Australia-03-june.gif

• 1 month later...

hey guys, i havnt posted on here for a while so i thought i might update with the last bit of progress :)

i made another new port for the next comp, i also blocked the box down with paint tins to suck up some space and hopefully bring the tuning up... it went from 144.0 at 32hz to 143.9 at 33hz :(

2010-08-27170129.jpg

the next comp also had a sound quality comp and i got 4th in intermediate with a lot of tips to help me get better :), one of the scoring points for the sound quality was on safety so i taped up all my positive terminals and installed this:

2010-09-10185219.jpg

after the comp i started making room in my dash for an 8" touchscreen and carputer... firstly i moved my head unit down to the ashtray area where the switches used to be:

2010-09-10185210.jpg

it required some minor plastic trimming and "massaging" to get it in but it fits nicely and just clears the gearstick :)

2010-09-12180552.jpg

i then had to move the switches coz the head unit was taking up their old spot... so i put them in the flip top cupholders that i put in out of a higher spec version of my car:

2010-09-13181054.jpg

the big rocker killswitch wouldnt fit in here though so i moved it, and the analogue volt meter, onto the dash:

2010-09-13181008.jpg

the volt meter is in the perfect spot for me to watch while driving:

2010-09-13181024.jpg

the dash is now ready for some screen action :)

Australia-03-june.gif

• 1 month later...

hey guys, once again long time no update... so heres the last couple of months progress :)

at the SQ comp one of my main let downs was the midbass/subbass area (around 80hz) this was mainly due to the complete lack of sealing on the doors lol, (big exposed service holes, no dynamat etc) so i got to work on the new door pods to fix it up, a couple of layers of fiberglass were applied to the doors first:

2010-09-28160033.jpg

then i cut some baffles out of 12mm ply:

2010-09-27144441.jpg

spacers were added to the glass:

2010-09-28091420.jpg

and the baffles were test fitted:

2010-09-28075723.jpg

i also built some cupholders into the pods because my switches are in the factory cupholders... i made them square to hold Farmers Union Iced Coffee cartons, where i live is the only place in the world that a milk drink is sold more than coke lol

2010-09-27135524.jpg

passenger side test fitted:

2010-09-29184537.jpg

and drivers side, there is about 5mm in between the pods and the seats lol:

2010-09-29180444-1.jpg

i still need to wrap them and add more layers of fiberglass to finish them off, they will probably end up ported at around 60hz for some crazy midbass :)

more updates next post...

Australia-03-june.gif

Archived