Sonic Electronix

Couple ?'s about my buddy blowing his system

My buddy was running two 12" CVR's on a Hifonics Brutus 1200 wired at 2 ohms. So the subs were getting maybe 450 watts a piece, 50 over RMS. He was bumping like normal and his speakers quit. One of the subwoofers was locked up and the spider is burnt to hell and back.

After that happened he unplugged his RCA's from the amp and about two hours later his truck was filled with smoked. Looked back at the amp and it was pouring smoke. My question is how did the amp blow without having any signal sent to it?

All his equiptment is 3 days old so it's still under warantee. The amp is set up right as far as I can tell. Edit: his gain was set turned half way up, but he says that was were it was supposed to be set. I wasn't there when he tested it.

Edited by JGod

2000 Jeep Cherokee

-DC Audio

-Memphis

-Audioque

-SecondSkin

-Pioneer

-KnuKonceptz

if his deck has a decent output, halway gain may be too much

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

perhaps it had a bad ground he probably should have unhooked the remote wire so that the amp didnt turn on

I checked his ground, it seemed fine. His amp read 12.7 while off and 13.8 while on.

I ran through his whole system and am I still stumped thats why I'm on here.

2000 Jeep Cherokee

-DC Audio

-Memphis

-Audioque

-SecondSkin

-Pioneer

-KnuKonceptz

cvr's can take way more than 50rms over their rating. he mustve been clipping them to hell.

as for the amp getting hot w/o the rca's in, were the + and - power connections shorting? was it getting ventilated properly?

cvr's can take way more than 50rms over their rating. he mustve been clipping them to hell.

as for the amp getting hot w/o the rca's in, were the + and - power connections shorting? was it getting ventilated properly?

no shorting, ventilated properly

2000 Jeep Cherokee

-DC Audio

-Memphis

-Audioque

-SecondSkin

-Pioneer

-KnuKonceptz

Maybe it was a bad amp. My friend was running a 2 channel Hifonics that put out 600 watts rms bridged at 4 ohms to a type r in a sealed box. I was running the same set up, as were like 2 other of my friends, and ours all ran fine, but my friends amp seemed to be putting out either way too much power or something else. He ended up blowing 3 type r's and after the last time, the amp caught on fire. I'm sticking with it was a bad amp. The kid was also a retard so he could have done something dumb, but I think it was actually a faulty amp the whole time.

as468x60pxbanner.gif

My Youtube Page. Check it out

The "SAV" - Sub-aural Assault Vehicle

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Image Dynamics CTX 6.5" Components

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

CDT 6.5" CL-E6NEO Front door Midbass

Kicker ZX350.4

Knukonceptz SS Karma 4 channel 6m RCA

Fi Q 18" w/ brushed aluminum dust cap

7cu ft. ported box tuned to 28hz

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Iraggi 240 amp Amputator Alt

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

Second Skin Damplifier Lite on roof and front doors

Maybe it was a bad amp. My friend was running a 2 channel Hifonics that put out 600 watts rms bridged at 4 ohms to a type r in a sealed box. I was running the same set up, as were like 2 other of my friends, and ours all ran fine, but my friends amp seemed to be putting out either way too much power or something else. He ended up blowing 3 type r's and after the last time, the amp caught on fire. I'm sticking with it was a bad amp. The kid was also a retard so he could have done something dumb, but I think it was actually a faulty amp the whole time.

i would agree but this is the second time the same thing has happened to the same set up only thing different this time was the head unit rca's were at 5v and the last time they were at 2.5v and the amp would not push no power and one speaker froze with the other one working properly and the speakers were wired together

2000 Jeep Cherokee

-DC Audio

-Memphis

-Audioque

-SecondSkin

-Pioneer

-KnuKonceptz