Sonic Electronix

my set up so far HELP subs making rattle noise

Oh whats up guys! this is my first post on SMD and boy do I love this site already :friends:

So my brother in law gave me his old subs and an amp for my new car

the subs are (2) Kicker CVR 15

hooked up to a jbl 1200.1 amp

head unit is just a JVC K-G220

used a walmart wiring kit lol

I read up on crutchfield and wired them in one ohm....

I am totally new to the car audio scene and don't know that much about boxs and such

heres a pic of the box they are in http://tinypic.com/r/2ry4vae/3 the specs are....16.5" width, 34" long and 12" high

Im pretty sure the box is too high because I get the idk what the name of the sound but it sounds like rattleing or burping idk is this due to my gain being too high or my lpf not at the right fequency for my box its at 32hz..

thanks guys!

Edited by drumminian

Alpine CDA-9887

15" FI BL

JBL BP1200.1

Rockford Fosgate p142 4" front

Rockford Fosgate p1S652 6.5" rear

Optima D35 yellow top under hood

Big 3

all in a 1997 Toyota Tercel

i'm sure a ton of people will agree with me on this in that you have a pretty darn good 1st setup. If your having problems with it sounding bad, 90% of the time its the box, or amp settings. look up how to set your gain with a multimeter, and look into making a new box, because that prefab is killing your sq/ output. My second setup was 2 15" kicker cvr's, and they got pretty loud just off of 400 rms for the pair.

heres a vid of a pair of cvr's on 1500 rms gettin f'n loud *** (not my vid)

Orion 2500D, Jbl Gto 75.4

Team Wolfpack Audio FSQ 15" d2, mb quart xover, tweets peerless 6.5 mids

Alpine cda-105

optima up front Knu klm 1/0

Yeah I looked up setting gains with a multimeter but I think the meter so i set it with a 50hz tone....

the box does suck im pretty sure it isn't big enough for them..my trunk doesn't have much room to work with, can't be much taller or wider, but what would be a good box suggestion for these..? I'd rather have a sealed box I'm more for sq the spl(not that you can have a ported box with good sq)

These subs hit pretty hard with the amp I have now so yeah it is a pretty sweet first set up :tease:

Alpine CDA-9887

15" FI BL

JBL BP1200.1

Big 3

so sometimes when i'm listening to my music loud the sub makes a rattling noise(I origonaly thought it was bottoming out but idk) I've tried looking up to find out what this is...is it because the box is too small for the subs?...maybe someone could suggest a better box for these

Edited by drumminian

Alpine CDA-9887

15" FI BL

JBL BP1200.1

Big 3

so sometimes when i'm listening to my music loud the sub makes a rattling noise(I origonaly thought it was bottoming out but idk) I've tried looking up to find out what this is...is it because the box is too small for the subs?...maybe someone could suggest a better box for these

I dont think it would be from the box being too small. if its too small it wouldnt bottom out unless you had a ton of power on them. Its probably something like your amp not being set right. Are the leads stitched? I assume so but if not they could be hitting the cone & making them sound wierd.

Current System:

Pioneer 6900 HU

Front Stage: (for now)

Soundstream tarantula 5.25 in the doors

Soundstream tarantula 4x6 in the dash

Kenwood 400.4 for mids & highs

Bass:

4 Soundstream RW-12's

2 Power Acoustik Stax 4000/1D's

single chamber box, 2.65 cubes.

Currently under the knife being bagged

Rebuilding err'thang

Your problem only problem with the setup is the box, seems to be to small for the subs. Sucks that you can't fit a proper ported enclosure in that trunk, because you would be blown away at the difference from sealed. But I'd step it up to like 2.5ft3 per sub sealed, if u can't fit that then i would try to go no lower than like 2.25ft3.

If u figure out some way to go ported i wouldn't go any lower than like 3.4ft3 per woofer.

My buddy did a 145.0 @ dash all sealed up w/ 2 15" CVRs, Hifonics BX2005D, ported 7.4 @ 35hz w/ 90 in2 of port in a 91 Blazer. For a $350 setup it was pretty nasty.

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

• 1 month later...

it makes like a noise like its hitting wood or something it's weird and annoying I think the box is just too small because it is just a perfab so I hope thats what it is

it happens when i have the bass turned up too much and too much bass is being played, you now what I mean? or when it plays notes that are really low...idk how to explain it really

please lemme know what you think?

Alpine CDA-9887

15" FI BL

JBL BP1200.1

Big 3

The box could be coming apart somewhere? Happened in my buddy's impala a week or so ago. We took it out and pushed around on the box until we found the part that had came lose a few screws and some glue and shes holding up and no noise.

Edited by etaks_crew

The box could be coming apart somewhere? Happened in my buddy's impala a week or so ago. We took it out and pushed around on the box until we found the part that had came lose a few screws and some glue and shes holding up and no noise.

lol i already checked for that

I just have no idea what could be

I know the subs aren't blown, it just seems like the subs are rattling

the subs are facing upwards and only have about 3-4 inches too the top of the trunk could that have something to deal with it

Edited by drumminian

Alpine CDA-9887

15" FI BL

JBL BP1200.1

Big 3