funny you say that...mine just went out today (or so i think it is the starter...i'm having the exact same problems you are) and know what? it's raining out. has been all day, but decided to call it quits midway through it. i've done some research, but the clean contacts is something new i havent seen before. gonna try tapping it tomorrow and jumping it and see if it starts, so i cant say if mine will stay running yet or die like yours does. but...i have a feeling i'm gonna have to get a new one at a junk yard. so we'll see

When it did this earlier this month, doing what I did in the video caused it to jump right to life and stay running. I wouldn't do this more than once; I am wondering if I fucked up my alt or my ECU with all the shockage =(

Too many projects, too little time...

ive been screwdriving mine for the past month and a half-2 months, lol, finally died completely a couple days ago, bought a starter about 2 weeks ago so its getting replaced tomorrow. i ran mine till it couldn't run anymore, rip stock starter...

When it did this earlier this month, doing what I did in the video caused it to jump right to life and stay running. I wouldn't do this more than once; I am wondering if I fucked up my alt or my ECU with all the shockage =(

i might try to jump the ignition, but i dno if i wanna touch the starter itself besides a tap or 3. just cuz. i dont have funds to fix anything else on there lol. i'll give it a tap...but if anything i'm just gonna junkyard one. hope you didnt mess yours up too much tho :(

i might try to jump the ignition, but i dno if i wanna touch the starter itself besides a tap or 3. just cuz. i dont have funds to fix anything else on there lol. i'll give it a tap...but if anything i'm just gonna junkyard one. hope you didnt mess yours up too much tho :(

Me too. Especially since I've heard horror stories about PCM's from different VIN's failing emissions.

Update, changing the solenoid did jack friggin' shit. Broke the old one removing it so the new one's gotta stay. Gonna hopefully redo a buncha grounds this week and see if that helps. If not I will just bypass the anti-theft system and put a starter button in.

EDIT: the anti-theft system in my year GP's will shut off the fuel pump if it decides a start was done with anything other than a key. That was why the car would die in the video.

Edited by ktownsdriftking

• 2 weeks later...

Redid the battery to chassis ground and again, no results. Time to make a (by)PASSkey =/

:ph34r: When I swapped solenoids I checked the switched wire going to the solenoid and it was not getting power, so I think the ignition switch may be going.

Edited by ktownsdriftking

Cavalier uses the same starter i think and they had a recall on a relay i think.

here is a quote from another site

Recall Date:

MAR 06, 2002

Model Affected:

1996 PONTIAC GRAND AM

Summary:

ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES. IF THE ENGINE FAILS TO START AND THE DRIVER HOLDS THE KEY IN THE "START" POSITION FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD, HIGH CURRENT FLOWS THROUGH THE IGNITION SWITCH, AND SOMETIMES PRODUCES ENOUGH HEAT TO MELT INTERNAL SWITCH PARTS.

Consequence:

IF THE SWITCH IS DAMAGED, A FIRE COULD OCCUR IN THE STEERING COLUMN, EVEN WITH THE ENGINE OFF AND THE KEY REMOVED.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSTALL A RELAY KIT IN THESE VEHICLES TO PREVENT HIGH CURRENT FROM FLOWING THROUGH THE IGNITION SWITCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN MARCH 27, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020, PONTIAC AT 1-800-762-2737, BUICK AT 1-800-521-7300, OR OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-442-6537.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:

GENERAL MOTORS CORP. 02008

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER