Sundown Audio

placing amp inside the sub box

blackhole

i was wondering if placing the amplifiers inside the subwoofer enclosure would be bad for them?

the reason i'm thinking about this is that i will not have much room at all to place the amps where they will get enough cooling.

i have done this before with an old alpine amp that was always going into heat protect mode, and when placed about ten inch in front of the vent on the inside the heat problem went away.

as i'm going into a much bigger system now, i was wondering if there is much danger of the amps not being able to handle the pressures inside the box.

why not use the extreme airflow close to the vent to cool the amps?

could you guys comment on the pros and cons with this idea.

it has probably been done thousands of times but i cant find any good information on the matter.

Basically seems like one of the worst ideas i've ever heard of. The vibrations alone would be terrible for an amp and more than likely would knock something loose on the board.

And I highly doubt it has been done thousands of times, I've seen tons of setups of the years and none of them were like that.

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

why not just run a extra fan to where ever your gonna put the amp?i mean put in on the back seats a lot more better then inside the box.

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

Its been said 100s of times not to mount your amps on the outside of the box, so it should be granted that the inside would be just as bad.

bass makes vibration, vibrations rattle things. the slightest movement on the amps pc boards is enough to break the legs off of the mosfets that are either screwed or spring clipped to the heatsink.

Once the mosfet legs snap you have a fried amp.

waht car is this goin in??

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

waht car is this goin in??

mmc pajero. six fifteens.

i'm not decided on amps and subs yet but i know its going to be a tight fit, well unless i build the box higher.

i do not have any room under the rear seat as it sits way low, but i might be able to raise it up a little.

thanx for the reply's, now i know why this is not common practice as of danger to the amps.

dude that car looks like you can put some amps i mean you could always do a false floor and build a amp rack adn go steve meade status and then run extra fans to cool the amps.

Put it in the port. lol

Dont see any problem. Just when building the box, account for the space being taken up.

People strap their amps to boxes all the time. Just throw rubber spacers in between the amps...

yeah like on the OUTSIDE i dont think you see everybody running there amps on the inside of the box.