Sundown Audio

Old school amps versus new stuff.

vj226966

The thing is, those old school amps and speakers were rated at peak and not rms, much like the sony xplod amps you find at wal-mart today.

If you want a modern equivalent stop looking so far up the chain. Chances are for what you're used to from back in the day, a 600 watt rms sub amp on a pair of bottom of the line subs will be fine for you. As well as a lot of headunits today can push nearly as much wattage per channel as you had to have external amps for back in the day.

The upgrading of alts, batteries, big 3, etc have came to be because of amps pushing 5 to 20 x more then the best amps around back then, and with all that extra wattage, comes extra draw.

How many times did you see an amp back in the day that required 200 to 300 amps worth of fusing ?

I've got issues with the old school rated at peak. Actually, most of the better gear was rated at RMS, and at 12 volt. An Opti 50C should never be compared to a Sony whatever. We had cheater amps, that were rated at 50x2 @ 4 ohm, but would do 800 watts @ 1/2 ohm. We didn't have the motor structures we did today, nor the great voice coils, so we went mass on subs. And a lot of batteries, and alternators :) Build quality on a lot of the stuff was fantastic too, a lot of the sq guys still try to track down the zed gear because it is a/b and it does sound fantastic for SQ.

We also had amps that didn't have thermal protection and magic smoke would pour out of them. You could cook your meals on them. We'd run crazy impedences on them and they'd keep ticking.

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti Scion 600.4

4 - Lanzar Optidrive 1232D's

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6C midbass

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

Car audio is just like cars. I had a 1979 Lincoln Continental that ran like a champ, it didn't have all the computer/electronic support that my 2001 Toyota Camry does but I could also drive it and the engine would have to damn near fall out before it wouldn't start. Now my Camry on the other hand I can have a sensor go out and the damn thing won't start. Now in the winter I don't have to babysit the Camry like I did the Lincoln so it's a little give and take. With technology comes pros and cons. You can get an amp the size of a textbook that will put out 1500 watts but it may want a little more juice than that old school Lanzar (just because I used to own the OptiDrive 50C and the 6200) that would do 1,000 watts, get hot enough to cook a steak and took up 2 feet of the trunk.

1990 Chevy Suburban (Big Booty Judy)

(4) Sundown Audio Zv5 18's

(1) Sundown Audio Salt 12K

(1) Sundown Audio SAX-100.4

(1) Sundown Audio SAE-50.4

(2) Crossfire ST-1 Tweeters

(2) Obsidian Audio ST-1 tweeters

(4) Sundown Audio Neo Pro v3 6.5's

Saving 2nd Bass

This stereo stuff is cooking my brain.This new stuff out draws so much juice you need bigger alts and extra batts.When i had a"system"in the early 90,s i had a 1979 Ford Futura with at any givin time 3 or more amps.One amp per sub,one amp for 6x9s and amp for door speakers.My amps ranged from Soundstream 6.0s to sony to Punch.I had the biggest front batt i could fit under the hood.No Big 3 upgrade back then.My headlights would dim a little thats it.So with this said,would it be ideal for me to find a bunch of "old school"stuff and do a build?500.00 plus alts and multi batts are just to costly.I dont want to spend 2000.00 plus for amp and subs and not be able to use them till i get another couple grand to power them.I really want to bump.Any response would be helpful.I have been searching this site for imput and had some luck.Please help a brother out"lol"

I feel you dude. I'm just getting back in the game after like 10 years with no system. And to put it simply, get with the times my man. :) You don't have to spend all that money unless you're wanting to get serious about making a ground pounder. If you just want some beat, you can get a decent set up with a good 12" and an amp for $500 all day long. Just do some research and be patient waiting for the price you want.

I felt a little apprehensive coming back because everything is all about high wattage, batteries, etc. When I was in high school if you had a 1000 watt amp you were a professional competitor. The dude in our town that ran a 800 watt boss amp to his M and M Rose series 18's was a GOD! And of course running his janky 6x9's off deck power. Right off the bat I was having a hard time figuring out how the trends had shifted and what I could expect to do with $1000 for my system. I think I did pretty good outside my sub amp. My sub amp back in the day was a beast, but it's just not enough for the sub I have. Still running a PPI Art Series 600.2. How's that for old school?

You don't have to go big right off the bat. You could get into a 12" Alpine Type X and a Fosgate Power 1500 for under $750 and that would be a great tting back in the game set up. :)

1993 Chevy Suburban

Optima Yellow Top

Kenwood KDC X-993

Pioneer GM-X314 mids amp

Kenwood KFC-4675's up front

Kenwood KFC-415C in back

Fosgate T1500-1bd

Alpine 12" Type X

(Coming eventually: Fosgate T400-4, T1652-S, XS battery, Big 3, h.o. alternator, 18"???)

image,BoxingBuffalo,grey,black.png

all the good old school amps are rated at 12volts and are under rated at that like the-- autotek - ppi - orion hcca - mmats - linear power - adcom - us amps - kicker - rockford - planet audio -built by zed audio --lanzar opti drive - mtx - all the amps have the power and SQ the new amps dont-- and thay are built in the USA not in[[ CHINA]] and built to last. i by and sale a lot of amps and the new amps just dont stack up in the build quality it is cheaper to make them in [[CHINA]] and who wonts a amp that has --THD of 1.0 are more ---not me-- i will keep my .002 THD and love the sound

ive been looking trust me and i found a few "old school"stuff for decent prices ,but how is your electrical?Like i said i never had extra batts and high output alts.The alt is what would kill me"price wise".Bass on a budget.

Get a or a couple of extra stock alts out of the junk yard make your own brackets and there you go 3 stock alts = 1 good...

2007 Great Wall So Cool

4-12' RE audio MX's

Stetsom 7k2D

6-Batts

3-Mechman 250 amp Rhino's

I feel you dude. I'm just getting back in the game after like 10 years with no system. And to put it simply, get with the times my man. :) You don't have to spend all that money unless you're wanting to get serious about making a ground pounder. If you just want some beat, you can get a decent set up with a good 12" and an amp for $500 all day long. Just do some research and be patient waiting for the price you want.

I felt a little apprehensive coming back because everything is all about high wattage, batteries, etc. When I was in high school if you had a 1000 watt amp you were a professional competitor. The dude in our town that ran a 800 watt boss amp to his M and M Rose series 18's was a GOD! And of course running his janky 6x9's off deck power. Right off the bat I was having a hard time figuring out how the trends had shifted and what I could expect to do with $1000 for my system. I think I did pretty good outside my sub amp. My sub amp back in the day was a beast, but it's just not enough for the sub I have. Still running a PPI Art Series 600.2. How's that for old school?

You don't have to go big right off the bat. You could get into a 12" Alpine Type X and a Fosgate Power 1500 for under $750 and that would be a great tting back in the game set up. :)

This is what im doing for my "new oldschool"set up.1 Orion 2100 HCCA"modded"for 500.00.MMats 4 channel 100.4 for 200.00.2 sets of Pioneer Premeir 6.5 comps for 150,00 2 custom built 15s 800.00 a Audio Control DQS processor for 200.00.If anyone is looking for oldschool stuff check out 1moreamp.He is on the forum,thats where im getting my stuff

all the good old school amps are rated at 12volts and are under rated at that like the-- autotek - ppi - orion hcca - mmats - linear power - adcom - us amps - kicker - rockford - planet audio -built by zed audio --lanzar opti drive - mtx - all the amps have the power and SQ the new amps dont-- and thay are built in the USA not in[[ CHINA]] and built to last. i by and sale a lot of amps and the new amps just dont stack up in the build quality it is cheaper to make them in [[CHINA]] and who wonts a amp that has --THD of 1.0 are more ---not me-- i will keep my .002 THD and love the sound

Fosgate Power series is still made in the USA http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/hairtrick.gif

rockfordfosgate4.jpgmecp.jpg

CAUTION!

POOR INSTALLATION MAY SHORT BOTH YOUR SYSTEM AND WALLET

i would love to get my hands on some old school beast amps or those big PPI amps again....

Full eclipse system is next on list.. soon to gut and redo the honda as new project/rolling buissness card :)

i miss the sound of those old school strokers on beast amps :(

Archived