Sonic Electronix

I'm installing a system in a friends 03 monte carlo, and I'm confused. He bought a wiring harnes so i can put in the head unit and it was the wrong one for the car, so we went back to get another one but the only one for montey carlos we could find were 95-99. So i called a friend who installs at ABC Warehouse and he told me that they dont make them for that car and we would have to put in something to bypass the stock amp, im not sure what he is talking about. I have seen people use the stock HU and still have a system, but I dont have a clue how to do that, since there is no RCA hook ups. How could I hook up the amp with leaving the stock HU in there?

Thanks

BRENT

1997 GMC Yukon
1-DC xl18"
Stetsom 2K5E
3-Kinetik HC1800's

1967 Pontiac GTO

Where can I get a hi to low converter at? What brands are good? whre does it wire into? The amp has a high level input on it.

I dont really have a clue about this stuff, everything I have done is with an after market HU.

Thanks

BRENT

1997 GMC Yukon
1-DC xl18"
Stetsom 2K5E
3-Kinetik HC1800's

1967 Pontiac GTO

I'm installing a system in a friends 03 monte carlo, and I'm confused. He bought a wiring harnes so i can put in the head unit and it was the wrong one for the car, so we went back to get another one but the only one for montey carlos we could find were 95-99. So i called a friend who installs at ABC Warehouse and he told me that they dont make them for that car and we would have to put in something to bypass the stock amp, im not sure what he is talking about. I have seen people use the stock HU and still have a system, but I dont have a clue how to do that, since there is no RCA hook ups. How could I hook up the amp with leaving the stock HU in there?

Thanks

Your boy don't know what he's talking about.

I have an 04 MC myself and just got done installing my system about a month ago, check it out here

You will need a high to low converter aka line out converter. Basically it's a box that turns speaker level input into line level output (rca's), so you'd tap into your rear speaker wires and run them to the LOC and then the rca's that you would run from the amp to the deck (if you had an aftermarket deck) instead from the amp to the other end of the LOC and that's how you'd get the signal to the amp. Then just run you power/remote/ground and wire up your subs and you'd be good to go! If you want to run an amp for your mids/highs then you could run another LOC off your front speakers and you're good.

There are better ways to do this, of course, but it comes with a price....The JL Audio CleanSweep is a pretty popular OEM integration unit that has unbelievable SQ, or so I've heard. But it costs like $200+

The best way, of course, is to upgrade you head unit. No need to bypass the factory amp either, you simply leave it unplugged when you put in the new deck.

When I was running a system off my head unit, I only added a sub amp and had my mids and highs running off the factory amp but if you want to add an amp for mids/highs you will most likely have to run the amp bypass harness, it's only like $25 but I heard it's a royal PITA and for as much work as goes in to running that you would be much better served just getting an aftermarket deck and calling it a day.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

I saw your build SQMonte, I was hoping you would chime in. So the easiest thing to do would be the LOC? He would rather stick with the stock HU instead of an after market one. Also, what's an alright brand to go with? He doesn;t want a complete piece of shit but also doesn't want to spend much on it. The system is just 2-12's off a 500 watt amp so it is nothing major, just a little bumb.

BRENT

1997 GMC Yukon
1-DC xl18"
Stetsom 2K5E
3-Kinetik HC1800's

1967 Pontiac GTO

I saw your build SQMonte, I was hoping you would chime in. So the easiest thing to do would be the LOC? He would rather stick with the stock HU instead of an after market one. Also, what's an alright brand to go with? He doesn;t want a complete piece of shit but also doesn't want to spend much on it. The system is just 2-12's off a 500 watt amp so it is nothing major, just a little bumb.

i used to work at the ABC warehouse. and honestly you dont need that expensive ass kit. just gotta run an ignition and constant and then ground it and then you got all your speaker leads.. get the high low off the back speakers and youll be set.

I've never spent over $25 for an LOC and unless it introduced noise into the system whichever one worked was good enough for me......hit up your local electronics store and just buy one, they're all subject to having an issue here or there so don't lose any sleep over brand.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f