Mechman Alternators

Well I purchased an Alternator last Aug / Sept from mechman on one of his clearance sales. It is for a 99 Explorer 4.0 SOHC 250 amp HO. Well it quit working a couple days ago and I looked at the receipt to see when I got it and it only had a 90 day warranty. I am bummed out big time. I am not trying to say that I was screwed over or anything like that. Since I was working on my truck late I called a different company and talked to them to see how to test the plug to make sure it was working and that the alt was bad. Well I find out that the ford 4G alt is the biggest pile of crap and that its not recommended to put a ho alt in this vehicle because of this very reason. If you own a 4.0l SOHC do not purchase a ho alt for it they will not last. I hope my experience saves someone else that time and frustration I have went through. Have a great day I know i will.

Edited by Dr. Johnson

okay, you can complain about this or you can call mechman and see what he will do for you.

i have an 02 sohc explorer sport, mine died also, i got it back in a few days working fine since.

I am in no way complaining about this. I do not feel that Mechman has an obligation to do anything about it. I knew it had a shorter warranty and I am not going to come on here and whine and complain or talk crap about him just to get one up on him. Not only is that unethical and immoral but its immature. I will not act as if he owes it to me to fix it. I was just letting others know about it; so that before they go spending a substantial amount of money on an alt for this specific engine that they know it may not last. Thanks for your opinion though.

I am in no way complaining about this. I do not feel that Mechman has an obligation to do anything about it. I knew it had a shorter warranty and I am not going to come on here and whine and complain or talk crap about him just to get one up on him. Not only is that unethical and immoral but its immature. I will not act as if he owes it to me to fix it. I was just letting others know about it; so that before they go spending a substantial amount of money on an alt for this specific engine that they know it may not last. Thanks for your opinion though.

Just because some alternator guy tells you that 4G units are pieces of crap in his opinion, should not isnpire you to post in my section an alert that no one should buy a 4G alternator from us because 4G alternators are crap and they won't last. A 4G alternator can be an excellent unit if built properly. It is one of our best selling units, with hundreds of them in service with no problems, on this message board alone.

Weather you are complaining or not, a thread titled "my alt died" at the top of my section is bad for buisiness. A simple call or e-mail would have resoplved the situation. Send the unit in and we will check it out. If it is a simple part failure will fix it and send it back to you- EVEN THOUGH you recieved a substantial discount in exchange for the 90 day warranty, instead of our standard one year warranty.

thanks

Matt