Give me 60 seconds to explain Bass Boosts/Clipping

awesome thread decaf, i defiantly learned something from this thread. my question though , is there any program that i can use on a mac?.. mac sucks..i hate it

808 All Day Baby.. Yes Im From Hawaii & No I Dont Live In a Grass Shack

1990 2 Door 4Runner

- Kenwood KDC-MP642U (changing out for a pioneer soon)

- Pioneer speakers up front w/ tweets (in progress)

- 18ft. of 0gauge, (3) 150 amp ANL Fuse

- Sundown Sae-1200D

- Stinger Blue Volt Meter

- Yellow top up front, Die hard in the rear ( i know i know!!! it willl be changed soon!!)

- 15 Fi Q

- 4 cube box tuned to 31hz

ok so i am a little bit confused... i have a rf t4k. my gains are all the way down. say im playin your mix of oj da juiceman im bommin, and i turn my bass knob all the way up i could be clippin my amp??? and if so then y does meade use his. I know he wouldnt use his unless it was safe. Maybe im just not thinkin bout it im my head lol. so could you please explain this a lil more to me. thanks man. Thats the last think i want to do is fry my amp.

^^ yah thats not good bro

808 All Day Baby.. Yes Im From Hawaii & No I Dont Live In a Grass Shack

1990 2 Door 4Runner

- Kenwood KDC-MP642U (changing out for a pioneer soon)

- Pioneer speakers up front w/ tweets (in progress)

- 18ft. of 0gauge, (3) 150 amp ANL Fuse

- Sundown Sae-1200D

- Stinger Blue Volt Meter

- Yellow top up front, Die hard in the rear ( i know i know!!! it willl be changed soon!!)

- 15 Fi Q

- 4 cube box tuned to 31hz

ok so i am a little bit confused... i have a rf t4k. my gains are all the way down. say im playin your mix of oj da juiceman im bommin, and i turn my bass knob all the way up i could be clippin my amp??? and if so then y does meade use his. I know he wouldnt use his unless it was safe. Maybe im just not thinkin bout it im my head lol. so could you please explain this a lil more to me. thanks man. Thats the last think i want to do is fry my amp.

you are more than likely clipping, clipping not only happens when you adjust the bass boost from on amp, which you never want to keep full blast

you can send your amp a clipped signal from your head unit, then things only get worse cause your amp is 'amplifing' the clipped signal

this happens when you turn up the head unit volume control too high, every HU is different in the level it starts clipping

check it out...

CD player's EQ is set to flat... no amplifier......1kHz sine wave at 0dB...... volume level 50.........max on deck is 62

IMG00512.jpg

IMG00514.jpg

IMG00515.jpg

then if i turn up the volume 2 more notches, clipping starts,

IMG00516.jpg

and at max volume it looks like a square wave...

IMG00519.jpg

this goes for bass frequencies too, it was just easier to show high frequencies on the scope.....40HZ.....0dB

IMG00525.jpg

IMG00527.jpg

:angry: subs no likey

IMG00532.jpg

so what im trying to say is, clipping can happen even before your amp touches the signal...which is bad

never keep your HU or Bass Boost all the way max....

and Meade is a guy who knows what the hell he is doing....has had alot of experience fine tuning systems.

dont mean to thread jack, just thought i'd contribute.

9515g

xa-3000s

im glad to have been a part of soo many clipping threads

i truly think there are alot of people who read this, members or not, who have a better understandin of how complex an audio signal/system is and ways to make it last longer by proper settings

a well trained ear and an oscope are ur best friends when it comes to clean audio

i took another video with more sound so u can see and hear the distortion, but without damagin ur own speakers

at 42 seconds u can really hear how the bass destroys the quality of the song

th_DSCF0001-1.jpg

slow - thank u, another good point showing how u can clip ur headunit, then it goes to ur amp which could clip it more with improperly set gains, then add a bass boost knob and u can see where all the heat and blown subs comes from

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

go to now playin window, right click in the middle

which brings up visualizations

select bars and waves

select scope

bingo

thanks man

Jacob Sigmund

1 dc level 4 m1 18

1 audiopipe ap1500

2 runs of knu 1/0

jake1993sig.jpg

Alex Bennington" <[email protected] ^^^ want one one email this guy he will hook you up!

Archived