Sundown Audio

Sundown SAE-1200D Finally hooked up

Hotdog

but u didnt play a 500hz tone, or 1000hz tone, or 4000hz tone to check when those clip

which is why i said less than 33 because the sub output on most alpines takes longer to clip than the mids/highs

and its a 2v headunit, so volume 33 gives you 2.6v but volume 26ish gives u 2v

not only that, if you set ur gains 1 tiny click away from clipping then u better not play any clipped music because u are that much closer to overdriving the signal

i need my own oscope so i can do some tutorials and bust some myths

Edited by Decaf

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

but u didnt play a 500hz tone, or 1000hz tone, or 4000hz tone to check when those clip

which is why i said less than 33 because the sub output on most alpines takes longer to clip than the mids/highs

and its a 2v headunit, so volume 33 gives you 2.6v but volume 26ish gives u 2v

i need my own oscope so i can do some tutorials and bust some myths

this is true

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

ur not makin much sense, think about what ur saying

for competitions the sub level should be at +15 and then when daily you would turn it down to say +10... thats the proper way because then u would never exceed the voltage set at +15 and hopefully u would clip the amp way less, which = less stress

mids/highs are different, i just set them by ear after setting the sub amp

put eqs at 0, turn gain up til they sound good and not stressed then go to the eq and fine tune what u can... which does not mean makin a smiley face curve

Ok.. now that you explained it that way it makes more sense to me :)

Also I never turn volume past 30 even if I am at a competition I only go to 30 max volume.

I also noticed you said I had DB's to gain... if I get everything set correctly how much more could I see?

I was a 145.7 with the T10001bd with everything set wrong... now with the Sundown SAE-1200D it definitely sounds louder but with everything still set wrong and more to gain would it be possible to hit 147 ?

Edited by Hotdog

I always hear everyone say turn the bass boost off...

This is only true if you listen to bass heavy music (which most people on SMD do)

but for those people who like rock, or other music where bass isnt that powerful, is when you do activate the bass boost on the amps ( all the way up is never the way to go)

If set it to Zero no matter what, what is the point of the boost? it is there for a reason

So, I'am late on jumping in here, but obviously you listen to bass heavy music if your doing any 145db on music, but if you listen to rock, you CAN adjust the bass boost on the amp accordingly

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

you sure can, in my experience with rock music most kicks peak about 15db out of 30db... whereas most rap is 20-25db

u just gotta watch out tho because a kick drum when recorded is inherantly clipped because of the way u hit the petal against the membrane and how that sound is picked up and transfered to a digital source

i get sent pms with rock songs people like that are already really loud and ud be surprised how much rock uses distortion for a reason and with a purpose to create a sound... its a good thing the kicks dont last long and ur subs can disipate heat much faster playing rock than rap

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

so is 147db possible with everything set correctly?

I do notice that the Sundown SAE-1200d wants more juice then the Rockford T1000bd amp. With the Rockford amp it would never go below 13v but with the Sundown amp it will drop to 12.5.

so is 147db possible with everything set correctly?

I do notice that the Sundown SAE-1200d wants more juice then the Rockford T1000bd amp. With the Rockford amp it would never go below 13v but with the Sundown amp it will drop to 12.5.

Doubt it.. maybe a few tenths at most.. ever try testing with your visors, seat positions, defrost on, etc? those can be tenths which add up to db's..

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

that could be because u are drawing more current (amperage) using so much bass boost

i dont think a two db gain is likely... but play the right song/frequency and ur gonna gain enough worth mentioning

and more than anything it will be set correctly!

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Ok... I will get things set properly and see about getting it metered again. But I have been real happy with the results so far.

thanks for all the input.. I would not be where I am today if it were not for all the input I have received from the SMD forum.

and Decaf were going to have to hook up some time you are not that far from me. Maybe at a competition next summer sometime.