Need help with processor compatibility

I'm planning on upgrading my dell dimension 5150's processor. The 3.2ghz stock single core isn't cutting it anymore. I've upgraded everything else on this computer, if I hadn't I would definitely build a brand new one. Anyway the specs im currently running are :

550w psu

nvidia 8800gt

intel 3.2ghz single core

4gb ram

Now onto my question. Will an intel e5300 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819116074 ) or an intel e6300 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819116091 ) be compatible with the stock mobo? It's an LGA 775, but I don't know the exact specs. I contacted dell and they were no help... All they could tell me was that it wouldnt support a quad core.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt any Core2 CPU will work with your board if it originally had a single core CPU in it. Your best bet is probably to get the fastest P4D you can but that will end up costing you so much that you may as well throw the CPU and motherboard in the bin and get a new mobo with a middle of the road quad core CPU.

EDIT: BTX chassis. So you throw the case in the bin as well, and probably the PSU.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: You're pushing wet sloppy shit up an icey ramp with a rake wearing rollerskates man. Sell the lot.

Edited by Boon

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt any Core2 CPU will work with your board if it originally had a single core CPU in it. Your best bet is probably to get the fastest P4D you can but that will end up costing you so much that you may as well throw the CPU and motherboard in the bin and get a new mobo with a middle of the road quad core CPU.

EDIT: BTX chassis. So you throw the case in the bin as well, and probably the PSU.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: You're pushing wet sloppy shit up an icey ramp with a rake wearing rollerskates man. Sell the lot.

So that's a "more than likely no" ?

I am so sigging that.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

• 2 weeks later...

extremely well said! Stupid dell and there (then) proprietary designs and PSUs. Now there finally building them the "ATX" way, but back when the OP bought his computer, dell was.......well, DELL!

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny