Mechman Alternators

belt issue or idle issue?

Okay, I got a 250A rhino at idle voltage is about 14.5 until it warms and if i just let it sit there it drops gradually to about 13.2-12.8 depending on how fast i notice it and how long its been idleing. Like I can't let it idle with the A/C on without voltage dropping into the low 13s :( Now if i revv it to about 750-800 it'll go to about 14.3-14.4. My car idles about 600, is the voltage low because it doesn't idle at 800 like some cars? Stock alt would stay at about 14.2-14.4 SAME conditions. Would a shorter belt help any? And no the belt doesn't feel any looser than the stock one. Trying to give as much info as possible, according to the dyno sheet stock alt at idle speed gives 83.4 amps and mechman gives 68.4 I think I don't get enough idle amps b/c revving voltage goes higher. I read a topic in DC Power guy having a similar but not the same issue and suggested he get a new belt b/c of slippage. My belt isn't old or worn though but if spending $30 on a gatorback will help let me know. If so, how much shorter? I just want to have voltage idle at 14.2+. YES I have 2 batteries and they were fully charged. It's been like this since i had it.

th_140x100square.jpg

I doubt replacing your belt would help your idle voltage. I would think the default is coming somewere from your electrical system. What type of car is this? Do you have power windows? Do the volts drop when you put the windows up? All these little things tell a lot. If your stock alt at idle gives 83.4 amps and your new alt gives 68.4 then thats your problem. Also replacing your belt does help your alternator from slippage.

2003 Mercury Marauder Black (R.I.P)

Tinted Windows

Purple HID's 10000K

Fog Light HID's 10000K

Swi Jack Steering Wheel Controls

Apple I-Pod Classic 80GB

Alpine KCE-422i Full Speed I-Pod Cable

Alpine IVA-W203/P1 Navigation/Bluetooth

Alpine PKG-M780 7' Headrest Screens

Alpine PXA-H701 Sound Processor

Alpine MRP-F300 4 Channel Amp

Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Power Amp

2 Kicker L7 15' Solo Barics

Alpine Type R SPR-17S Component's

Alpine Type R SPR-57C Coaxial's

Monster Performance RCA's

0/2 Gauge Wires

BIG III W/Fuse

200 Amps Custom Built Alternator

Yellow Cap Optima Battery Front

Xstatic Batcap 800 Back

Custom Mounted Bass Knob

LED's 2x License & Trunk Light

BoYo VTK-350 Color Backup Camera

Dynamat Xtreme Front Doors & Rear Deck

Clifford Matrix 50.7X Alarm System/Remote Start

Also if your front battery drains then so is your back battery gone..

2003 Mercury Marauder Black (R.I.P)

Tinted Windows

Purple HID's 10000K

Fog Light HID's 10000K

Swi Jack Steering Wheel Controls

Apple I-Pod Classic 80GB

Alpine KCE-422i Full Speed I-Pod Cable

Alpine IVA-W203/P1 Navigation/Bluetooth

Alpine PKG-M780 7' Headrest Screens

Alpine PXA-H701 Sound Processor

Alpine MRP-F300 4 Channel Amp

Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Power Amp

2 Kicker L7 15' Solo Barics

Alpine Type R SPR-17S Component's

Alpine Type R SPR-57C Coaxial's

Monster Performance RCA's

0/2 Gauge Wires

BIG III W/Fuse

200 Amps Custom Built Alternator

Yellow Cap Optima Battery Front

Xstatic Batcap 800 Back

Custom Mounted Bass Knob

LED's 2x License & Trunk Light

BoYo VTK-350 Color Backup Camera

Dynamat Xtreme Front Doors & Rear Deck

Clifford Matrix 50.7X Alarm System/Remote Start

the pully on the mechman is smaller so a shorter belt is sometimes needed. 1/2" - 1" shorter should do it.

im guessing your reading the dyno sheet that came with the mechman. remember the 600rpm number is the alts rpm. not your cars rpm. your alt spins a lot faster.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

crap i knew i should have gave more information. Okay, Big 3 done in 1/0. Have 2 1/0 going from alt to battery and 1 1/0 ground alt to ground battery. Yes voltage drops when I roll down the windows. Pulley on mechman alt is the same as stock, mine was small to begin with. I understand about the rpm thing I did the conversion you know 1800/3 = 600 engine rpm. It's 07 Hyundai Santa Fe SE. looked at the service manual and it says 65a min, it does meet the cars requirement but voltage sucks at idle :( And no, at idle have nothing running ex. no lights, door open, radio. etc sometimes i hear the alt making this whine? until it warms up then the noise is gone. so even if the pulleys are the same size would a smaller belt help any? No belt is not even close to being worn and battery is almost 2 years old and other battery about 1 year. Have 1/0, 4g, and 8g going to back battery lol don't ask had it laying around so figured couldn't hurt. and back battery grounded to front battery.

th_140x100square.jpg

hey hey come on now guys, trying to get some help.

i had the same problem, its nothing that major, just call them, to get a smaller pully, so then you will have a better ratio from engine to alt. on the spec sheet, it is alt rpm not engine rpm btw. i got a smaller one and work great now

Edited by Kian

---------------------------------------------------------------

Club 150 (15x.x)

Youtube

Future Build:

1x 15" T3 TSNS

2x Sundown Audio SAZ3000d Parellel strapped

It may be getting hot if you are pulling a lot of current at idle. It has thermal protection that will back the voltage down when it gets hot. It does not cool as good when it is not spinning fast. . .

You woudl hear the belt if it was slipping. . .

BRian

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.