Mechman Alternators

belt issue or idle issue?

@basebalz13

yea mechman says 68.4 - 1800RPM and 147.7 @ 2500RPM

You must remember that is at alt RPM not Engine RPM, I would look into getting an overdrive pulley and a smaller belt. That should solve your Idle Problems as well as give you a little extra idle output.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

uh yea i already stated i know that it's not engine that it would be 600 Engine rpm i'll try the belt next weekend and let everyone know how it goes but it seems tight to me and what's a overdrive pulley?

it's been a while since i measured but engine crank pulley is like 6" while pulley on alt is 1" n something or 2" not sure and won't have my car until this weekend thanks for everyone trying to help thus far will update next weekend

th_140x100square.jpg

uh yea i already stated i know that it's not engine that it would be 600 Engine rpm i'll try the belt next weekend and let everyone know how it goes but it seems tight to me and what's a overdrive pulley?

it's been a while since i measured but engine crank pulley is like 6" while pulley on alt is 1" n something or 2" not sure and won't have my car until this weekend thanks for everyone trying to help thus far will update next weekend

It means a smaller pulley on the alt, so the ratio to Alt RPMS to Engine RPM's increases, so instead of getting say 80 amps at 600engine rpm, you would be getting something like 110-120 amps at 600engine RPM, these numbers are just an example.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

We are closed Sat-Sun, which is why you have not received a response over the weekend. You can always call for immediate service- 1-888-MECHMAN

If your crankshaft pulley is 6" in diameter, and the alternator pulley is 1.75" in diameter, that gives you a 3.42:1 pulley ratio. At 600 engine rpm, your alternator is spinning 2057 rpm, which should be giving you well over 80 amps, even at that low idle speed.

65 amps is not required to run the vehicle at idle. With no lights, fans, AC, heat, or anything else on in the car, the vehcile will only require 20-30 amps for ignition, fuel pump and other engine accessories.

What is the resting voltage of your batteries? You will need to disconnect both of them from the vehicle and let them rest over night. Measure them with a hand-held multimeter directly at the battery posts and let me know what the resting voltage is on each of them.

E-mails get responded to much faster than a Forum post: [email protected]

okay will get back to you tomrrow Mechaman. will charge the batteries over night and let you know what it says. Will also let you know the voltage before I charge them. I was going by my service manual, it just says 65a min. not sure if that was a requirement or saying what the stock should do.

th_140x100square.jpg

okay quick update will update more tomorrow. I measured voltage of both batteries SEPERATE and they were both 12.9 put them on the charger and it said 100% So i charged them both at 8 amps (just to make sure each cell was fully charged) for about and hour a piece no change in voltage. Hooked up only stock battery, going to let the back battery stay unhooked until tomorrow (Deka 9a31) Well voltage still drops to 13.6 and lower if i just let it idle :( lowest i let it go is 13.2 before i actually give it gas and once again, nothing was running beside car.

th_140x100square.jpg

I had a similar problem with the Powermaster alt i got from him then it just gave up charging completely (my daily driver, not my truck). I called and Matt said to ship it back but I haven't had a chance to do it yet. It would give a whine when i started the car after it sat overnight and it would kick on and off causing the belt to make a ticking sound. Don't know if it is the same for you but I ended up having to buy a new stock alt to get around on till i can get my HO in for service.

Sometimes even dealing with a good company you can get a bad part, I'm sure he will do everything possible to get you up and running fast.

Edited by sully

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

well sully I sure hope this isn't my problem guess i'll know tomorrow I'malso going to try changing the belt to half an inch shorter one and see if that helps, but belt doesn't seem loose at all. If i revv to 750-800 i'll get the 14.4-14.6 no problem just not at idle ever :(

I just responded to your e-mail, and you put in the e-mail that you need a v-belt pulley??

Your vehicle douesn't use a v-belt pulley, it uses a serpentine pulley.

Just send the unit back in to us and we will take a look at is and find out what is going on.

thanks

Matt