Second Skin Audio

Make a grill

So I got an 18" Fi Q a little while ago and it's in a 7cuft. box facing up, port back. The box takes up pretty much my whole trunk and it is above the rear windown line. Now, I don't want people to be able to look in and see it. Right now I just have a blanket draped over it, and I just leave it there. I don't know if that's bad for the sub to be playing with a blanket on top, but it seems to be fine...

I don't want to tint my windows either because A. This is my dad's car B. it would cost more then what I want to do and C. I may get a new car in the spring. So I want to know if anyone here has done this for their sub and how they anchored it to their box. I sort of want it to be easily removable, but if it's easier to just screw it down or whatever, then I can deal with it. I was planning on just using some random black fabric my mom had lying around. I don't think it matters too much about the material, right? I think the material really only affects high frequency notes.

So if you can come up with any ideas on how to do this, that would be cool. It's mostly the problem mounting it. I know steve used neodymium magnets on the grills for chicken's towers, but I don't really want to spend much (if any) money if I don't have to. I'd like to see what I can do with what I have. The only idea that I could come up with that would probably work well would be to just use some metal L brackets to attach it to the sides of the box.

as468x60pxbanner.gif

My Youtube Page. Check it out

The "SAV" - Sub-aural Assault Vehicle

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Image Dynamics CTX 6.5" Components

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

CDT 6.5" CL-E6NEO Front door Midbass

Kicker ZX350.4

Knukonceptz SS Karma 4 channel 6m RCA

Fi Q 18" w/ brushed aluminum dust cap

7cu ft. ported box tuned to 28hz

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Iraggi 240 amp Amputator Alt

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

Second Skin Damplifier Lite on roof and front doors

Instead of the magnets, you can use velcro. You can get it real cheap at any hardware store.

True. You think that'll hold it on the box alright? I don't want it falling off when the bass is hitting.

as468x60pxbanner.gif

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

Kicker ZX350.4

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

I've used the rolls of heavy duty velcro from wal-mart building pedal boards (guitar stuff) and i can tell you that stuff is stout. I can't see a subwoofer blowing off a screen/grill attached with that stuff without the sub actually hitting it.

Well, I finished it. Came out pretty good. I used some extra wood I found in my garage, cut it up to size, glued and nailed together, then wrapped it in some extra thick black fabric my mom had. I stapled that as best I could. I didn't know how to go about doing the corners and ended up doing it different for each, but they ended up looking fine. I used some industrial velcro my mom had somewhere, and it seems like it'll stay on pretty good. Thanks for the suggestions and help.

as468x60pxbanner.gif

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

Kicker ZX350.4

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

i know this is off topic, but where in northern jersey are you from im also from northern jersey

2000 Nissan Xterra

-Infinity 6020cs components

-Infinity 692.7 6x9s

-DC LVL 4 12

-AQ1200

-Pioneer DEHP860MP H/U

-4 channel amp for mids and highs??? I need some suggestions

I'm in Sussex County. I live in Sparta.

as468x60pxbanner.gif

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

Kicker ZX350.4

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

check out my build. about half way down on page 1. might be like what you want. if you want something a little lighter, ive seen people just make a wood frame and wrap grill cloth over it. then the frame is fitted with magnets to attatch to the box.

edit - oh, didnt see you already finished it.

Edited by skittlesRgood

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.