just a couple noob type SPL ??s

hey everybody, well i got metered for the first time a couple weeks back and this is pretty much the meter they had http://www.mobilesolutions-usa.com/smartpa...iocontrol_1.htm and read 138.8. first how close are these type of meters. second my goal is 140 in time and right now my ideas to reach that is to keep my sub inverted to help airspace since im just under 3 cubes with a DC level 4 15" and change the slot port to a flare port. if i dont seem to be able to get much closer to the 140 after that im down to rethink the current sub setup. my biggest prob is space, since being a father of 6 and only have 1 ride to get around in. so my second ? is i know cone area is good but what if a guy changed from his level 4 15 in the just under 3 cube box to 1 single 12 level 4 xl in 3 or so cubes with a flare port. im just asking if what my thoughts are will be worth trying and if not what are a few options for somebody like me. never competed but am wanting to try next year so figured it would be best to learn all i can before then lol.i will more than likely be doing meca events since those seem to be what my only options are due to my location. any other info needed such as equipment and car pics etc is all in my sig and thanks ahead of time for any advice.

-Dan-

Edited by cracker

MMOOOAAAAARRRR PPPOOOOOOWWWWWWEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

ha in time. wanna see what i can do with this sundown first. then prob change that in the future. gotto take baby steps since i got til next year to wait lol

Hey Cracker. When i was down in Rice Lake, WI we had 2 bonnevilles and 2 grand prix in our stereo comp team. We had one guy running a $2000 Critical Mass UL12 vented with 2000w in his bonnie rear firing. We had another guy with both 3 13w3v3's and 4 12w3v2's off of a alpine 1000w PDX. When the bonnevilles had smaller, similar systems to the grand prix's they were consistantly 2-4 db down just because of the vehicle acoustics of the Bonneville. Your gonna have to do some work to get where you want to be. I don't know too much about DC but i would stay with the single 15. If you can step your airspace up over 4 cubes then a pair of 12's should get you closer to your goal with the same power you have now. Next time i talk to my friends with the Bonnies i'll see what kind of numbers they were hitting.

Build a "comp" box that is bigger with more port tuned higher (40-41) and you'll see a gain and still be able to play music. for an "all out" SPL box your going to want to tune closer to 50hz and only play three second burps.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

Build a "comp" box that is bigger with more port tuned higher (40-41) and you'll see a gain and still be able to play music. for an "all out" SPL box your going to want to tune closer to 50hz and only play three second burps.

-Drew

really, that high tuning? not doubting just learning ha but the sub will still play nice and low right. and space is my biggest prob, it would be a hell of a good time getting another cuft out of the given space....unless i can redo it some and glass any extra on the sides... and to make it deeper that would need to be built in tw pieces then to fit through the opening. right now the box comes right out with just a good enough extra room to get the ol fingys in there lol. i know ya like your DCs mang so im following for sure, not to be disrespectfull to ya there either JSwongerAA

*edit* and the space thing is why i asked about changing to a xl 12 with more power

Edited by cracker

well i figured i might try something with my current box. ill cut a hole in the back about 2"away from the outside edge. then ill build another slim version of the box that would be an additional cuft. it will be about 5" deep and will attatch using bolts for metering and comps and can be unattatched to put a reg flat piece for the back on during normal daily life so we can use the trunk space. i think this will work with swapping the slot port out for a flare port. i will glass the inside all up besides where the pieces of the box fit together. thinking some kinda RTV should do the trick for sealing and ill have to figure out how to keep it together without the use of glue, some kind of bolt deal. suggestions are welcome and alos still wondeing about that meter i mentioned in the first post. thanks