Second Skin Audio

Big question! 2 DD Z9518 or 1 DDZ18?

berniebp87

It’s a vid I took but they are far from musical subs, I just find the video amusing.

and if you read the discription of the video, you see that that wall is tuned at 55+hz, and he is playing a 35hz song. You can tell just by how much excursion there is on the low note.

he fucked his woofers due to pure stupidity! However that car has more then 10,000wrms in it, since there is 3 big SoundDigital 12kds in it that can be seen, Im almost guessing there is a 4th (which are rated 12,000wrms @ 1 ohm each)!

If you look at another one of the videos from this guys car (uploaded by ziggityzag) you can see the spectrum analyzer from the termpro, and it looks like he is burping in the 60-65hz region!

With that said, if you go and play a 30-40hz song on ANY setup with 36,000wrms and a burp freq of 60ish hz, then go and play a song that is 20-30hz below your tuning freq your going to blow subs. It dont matter what woofer! Fi BTL, Supergauss, AA Mayhem, T3 TSNS, DC lvl 5, any woofer will not last.

That car is burping a 159.Xdb Legal.

and if you read the discription of the video, you see that that wall is tuned at 55+hz, and he is playing a 35hz song. You can tell just by how much excursion there is on the low note.

he fucked his woofers due to pure stupidity! However that car has more then 10,000wrms in it, since there is 3 big SoundDigital 12kds in it that can be seen, Im almost guessing there is a 4th (which are rated 12,000wrms @ 1 ohm each)!

If you look at another one of the videos from this guys car (uploaded by ziggityzag) you can see the spectrum analyzer from the termpro, and it looks like he is burping in the 60-65hz region!

With that said, if you go and play a 30-40hz song on ANY setup with 36,000wrms and a burp freq of 60ish hz, then go and play a song that is 20-30hz below your tuning freq your going to blow subs. It dont matter what woofer! Fi BTL, Supergauss, AA Mayhem, T3 TSNS, DC lvl 5, any woofer will not last.

That car is burping a 159.Xdb Legal.

FYI, I TOOK THE VIDEO AT CARLISLE BACK IN MAY (so I do know what the description says). I know why he blew the subs, read the description. I was there, the subs were unloading like crazy from being played so far under tuning. Also, another FYI he WAS running ~10,000 rms, he was running 8 DD M1a's at that time (before he got the SD amps). Read my comment you responded to (cause you failed at reading), I said it AMUSED ME (about how stupid you could be).

The drivers FS has nothing to do with its ability to replay music. The FS of a speaker is its peak freq in a free air application. Are you freeairing a speaker when it is in a box? no. Will tuning a box below its FS ruin the speaker? No The only time you really have to worry about a woofers FS is when your building a t-line, or in a high dollar SQ install.

I keep hearing this FS rumor over and over, and having people tell me my 9518s with 9900series coils and comp cones cant be played in my 28hz daily box. Ive asked my box designer (PWK) if the FS of the sub matters on box tuning, as well as Steve from DD and Brad the tech guy at DD and they all said the same answer, No.

Call up DD and ask them. We talk to them almost on a daily basis being that I sell there products in our store.

I just seen other videos of the car and noticed all the sound digital 12kds in the car. However playing any subwoofer 20-30hz below tuning will give you the same result when dealing with that much power.

You said I failed at reading the description, well here is the description that your wrote.

Gordo's Motor Sports trying to play music on a pair of DDZ 18's in an enclosure tuned 55Hz +. You can see one of the subs going at the end of the video, and camera shot off before the smoke. Remember kids, dont play music in your burp boxes :)

Yea it says 10,000 watts, but it doesnt say the amps anywhere, and the other videos I seen he is running Sound digital amps then. Tho it dont matter because as I said previously that playing below tuning freq will damage any woofer..

PS: I never said they where meant for playing music, They are geared towards SPL, not playing music. However its all in the box and Ive seen several cars already with them and played music fine. Its all in the box. I played my 9918 in a low tuned 30hz box before and it was fine and the 9918 was designed as a spl only sub at that time too.

Archived