Second Skin Audio

What did i just do to my fi bl?

i was blasting my music just now and i kept smellin smoke i could see it wasnt my amp so i kept it up cuz i thought maybe it was somethin outside. it kept smelling so i pulled over popped my trunk and smoke was pouring out my port. My sub was still playin as loud so i woulda never thought thats were the smoke was coming from but it was. What could be wrong? it still plays.

Its running off a sundown saz1500d by the way.

I really don't understand how you'd smell an electrical type burning + smoke and not think to turn it down :rolleyes:

Please keep us updated on what you're gonna be doing in the future.

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

ive always thought a lil smoke comes when woofer gets hot n melts glue, how far gone does a sub need to be to be blown?

Uh no, you might get a bit of a kinda sickly almost sweet smell the first time you heat up a new coil if it has a lot of glue on it. That's about it. Any smoke is bad smoke.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Any smoke is bad smoke.
Unless you have a midget in your port burnin' one. ;)

Sig worthy....lmfao

Sorry to hear bout your Ooops, make sure to do a build-log of the 4/15 wall.. Good Luck mang..

93 Chevy Silverado

Crossfire,Dayton

Soon to have 6 Lvl4 15s

DC Audio Dealer and Team Member

Sig worthy....lmfao

Sorry to hear bout your Ooops, make sure to do a build-log of the 4/15 wall.. Good Luck mang..

ill def make a build log. im gone plan everthing out and then get it going :hairtrick:

im gonna try to post a picture of my blown fi bl later the coils arent black or nothin but the spiders caught on fire and thats where all the smoke was coming from haha

Edited by tlee2

6 Sundown X 15s

2 Sundown NS1 V2s

C Pillar 4th order

Bagged Suburban on 24s

http://youtube.com/tlee333

I really don't understand how you'd smell an electrical type burning + smoke and not think to turn it down :rolleyes:

Please keep us updated on what you're gonna be doing in the future.

i didnt at first cause i thought it was outside but i did a few seconds after that lol

i def will

6 Sundown X 15s

2 Sundown NS1 V2s

C Pillar 4th order

Bagged Suburban on 24s

im gonna try to post a picture of my blown fi bl later the coils arent black or nothin but the part with the circles that bounce(i kno i sound dumb i forgot the name) but that part caught on fire and thats where all the smoke was coming from haha

are you talking about the spider?

97 Honda Civic Sedan

Rear disc brake conversion

2" drop

17's

lots of exterior mods

SYSTEM

SoundStream VIR-5850 Dvd player

RE 6x9's and 6.5's

Soundstream DTR4.500

Soundstream DTR1.2200

8" RE-x in a t-line

Kinetik 1800

Plans

4-SA-8's

Another Kinetik

High output alt

My Cardomain

ill def make a build log. im gone plan everthing out and then get it going :hairtrick:

im gonna try to post a picture of my blown fi bl later the coils arent black or nothin but the part with the circles that bounce(i kno i sound dumb i forgot the name) but that part caught on fire and thats where all the smoke was coming from haha

the spider? the voice coil is under the spider. i still dont know why you smelled smoke and didnt turn it down...that part baffles me

the spider? the voice coil is under the spider. i still dont know why you smelled smoke and didnt turn it down...that part baffles me

yeah the spider my bad. i turned it down as soon i realized it was my system. everytime ive had somethin smoke its been my amp and after i glanced bak and seen it was fine i figured i was just parenoid from smokin my previous amp but just a FEW SECONDS after i turned it down anyway, pulled over and discovered it was my sub.

my coils arent burnt but the spider has a section burnt out of it and turn to ash when u touch it. im guessing my coils got to hot and somehow caught the spider on fire cause that was the only thing smokin when i took the sub out. coils arent black at all

6 Sundown X 15s

2 Sundown NS1 V2s

C Pillar 4th order

Bagged Suburban on 24s

so the sub still should work then right?

97 Honda Civic Sedan

Rear disc brake conversion

2" drop

17's

lots of exterior mods

SYSTEM

SoundStream VIR-5850 Dvd player

RE 6x9's and 6.5's

Soundstream DTR4.500

Soundstream DTR1.2200

8" RE-x in a t-line

Kinetik 1800