Second Skin Audio

SQUARE WOOFERS, ATLAS

SINCE IVE INSTALLED FOR ABOUT 13YRS NOW, THE PAST 6YEARS, THERES BEEN ALOT OF HYPE IN THE SQUARES, MAINLY L7s, THEN L5s, AND OTHER COMPANIES POPPIN OUT WITH HEX , TRIANGLE SHAPED SUBS. I ALWAYS THOUGHT ALL OF THESE DIFFERENT SHAPES WERE A BIG JOKE. THEN I HAVE INSTALLED A FEW OF THE X18s KICKERS, AND WAS IMPRESSED WITH ITS SIZE, AND ABILITY TO PRODUCE HIGH SPL AT LOW FREQUENCIES, BUT OTHER SUBS CAN COMPETE AND EVEN KILL THE X18s, AND COST AN EASY HALF THE X18s PRICE.

THEN I CAME ACROSS, (BUDDY OF MINE BROUGHT IT OVER FOR ME TO BUILD A BOX FOR IT)  THE HIFONICS ATLAS SQUARE SUB. I AALWAYS THOUGHT THIS SUB WAS A POS, SINCE THE DEMO VEHICLE IVE SEEN , THE DOMES WERE ALL LIT UP, FIGURED IT WAS ONLY A COSMETIC SPEAKER, NOT A GREAT SOUNDING WOOFER. I ASKED HIFONICS TO SEND ALL THE TRUE T/S PARAMETERS, AND I WAS IMPRESSED WITH THE NUMBERS I SEEN. EVEN THOUGH THE DOME LIGHTS UP, THE WHOLE CONE ASSEMBLY IS SOMEWHAT LIGHT, NICE STRONG BL, PERFECT FS/QTS/QMS FOR SPL PORTED BOXES. THEN FINALLY, I HAD THE WOOFER IN MY HANDS, (OBVIOUSLY A CHINA MADE SUB) LOOKS PRETTY COOL, A LITTLE ON THE FLASHY SIDE, LOTS OF CHROME, A CARBON FIBER CONE, RUBBER SURROUND, I WAS ABLE TO SEE THE VOICE COIL THRU THE FRAME, LOOKED NICE, I WAS SUPRISED, IT WAS A 3" VOICE COIL, AND THE WEIGHT OF THIS THING, DAMN, EASY 45LBS, ALOT MORE IMPRESSIVE WITH THE BUILD QUALITY THAN THE L7, L5, HART, AND PYLE SQUARE SUBS. AND THE MAGNETS, THEY WERE IN A ARRAY OF STACKED MAGNETS, 8 ROWS, TOTALING 180+ OUNCES. SO AFTER INSPECTING THE SUB, AND LOOKING FOR DEFECTS (COULDNT FIND ANY) I WAS IMPRESSED... NEXT STEP IS THE BOX BUILDING. ITS GOING IN A CORVETTE, RIGHT BEHIND THE HEAD RESTS, SANDWICHED IN THAT HATCH AREA OF A C5 CORVETTE, SUB AND PORT FIRING STRAIT TO THE WINDOW. WILL BE TUNED AT ABOUT 40-38HZ, IN A SOMEWHAT SMALL BOX, 2CF, BUT WITH A LARGER PORT. 12"X2.5 X20".

WE WILL SEE HOW IT SOUNDS, SINCE IAM ALREADY IMPRESSED WITH THE BUILD OF THE SUB AND AT ONLY $139-169 EACH, THATS NOT A BAD PRICE- IF IT SOUNDS AS GOOD AS IT LOOKS, MINUS THE GAY ILLUMINATING DUST DOME. HERES THE SPECS IF ANY ONE WAS INTERESTED... THIS THREAD DOESNT REALLY NEED TO GO ANYWHERE, I JUST DRANK A FEW MONSTERS THIS MORNING, AND NEEDED TO BABBLE ABOUT SOMETHING. BOX SHOULD BE DONE TODAY.  OH YEAH, AND THE WOOFER CUT OUT IS TO LARGE TO FIT ANYTHING WITH THE KICKER SQUARE TEMPLATE, THIS IS AN EASY 1/4"-3/8" OVER SIZED

SD: .0598 sqM

Revc: 1.55

BL: 17.21 T x M

Vas: 21.5 liters

Cms: 42.34

Mms: 417.7

Fs: 37.85hz

Qms: 3

Qes: .52

Qts: .443

SPL@1w: 85.55db

Xmax: 22mm

post-11-1158598439.jpg

Image199.jpg_thumb

post-11-1158598442.jpg

Image200.jpg_thumb

post-11-1158598444.jpg

Image202.jpg_thumb

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Sound Great tuned at 38hz, with a 250watt home sub plate amp, the house was shakin good.

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

working on that... all I have is a Creative wired web cam, Iam not ballarific enough to buy a real digi cam. But here are the pics of the box, before install. The box will be wedged behind the seat/hatch area, should wedge in nice and tight... It is 2cf, with a 2"x12"x 20" long port, that fires in to a large opening, as seen on the side. All this does is help re-direct the port air flow, with out changing the tunning to much. final tunning is about 36-38hz. Tested it on the home test amp, and it was knockin good.

post-11-1158715802.jpg

Image205.jpg_thumb

post-11-1158715805.jpg

Image204.jpg_thumb

sundown.jpg

These are great subs, and have been proven to get louder then L7's in a swap.

A few teammates run these in street class 4 squares powered by 2 Goliaths.  That is about 2500+ watts to each sub.  And they love it.

Great subs and great price you can get them for.

Finally, a pick of the installed box. Here it is. This is the pic, of the sub faceing to the rear, with the hatch of the vette' opened up. 750rms of Hifonics power, with a Valor deck, and a Hifonics pre amp. He says its so loud, its hurting his ribs, I have not heard it yet, but will have my chance this weekend when he rolls by.

post-11-1159430037.jpg

STA_1142.JPG_thumb

sundown.jpg

How the hell do you post them big pictures in here?

sundown.jpg

How the hell do you post them big pictures in here?

most of us use photobuctet.com  and then use the image link

looks good, I like the subz heard them in a blazer at work the other day they sound good

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno whats better. I would say the atlas, specs seem better, and looks like a better build on the quality portion. My buddy loves the sub. And I finaly, Finaly, after 3-4 weeks after building the box, got to hear them at full power. Very musical, and below 30hz, is very strong, just audibly I would say flat from 40hz-30hz, and below 30 the rumbling can get painfully pleasing  :D

sundown.jpg