30 year old and older "Bass Junkies" come on in

I need a question asked being that I am gettin old(37 years old) and can't remember half the things all the times. I know this may sound crazy but what size wire(gauge) was used to power some of these OL'Skool amps of the entire 80's? I remember using the largest u could get at the autoparts store which was 10 gauge. Now I remember some serious sound sytems with multiple woofers and amps totaling 2000 watts plus, with that said I know they could of not use 10 gauge wire. One of my friends(older than me) said his crew used welding cable to power those powerful sytems. Now adays u must use 2 gauge or better if u do not want to set your car on fire. (That almost happen to me dammit). Is it nowadays with the new amps u must use the bigger wire or is the Old stuff jus better? Things that make u say Hmmmm?!

wtf at yella...

anyways, i doubt the wire back in the day is any better than today's wire cuz how much better could it get? wire is wire lol. Whether it be copper or aluminum or copper clad alum, quality of the material wouldn't change.

DSC06330-1.jpg

91' Jeep Cherokee - The Heep

Just Empty Every Pocket

96' Volvo 960 - The B◘x

[sPL_4_U]

HiFonics - Alpine

Pioneer - Clarion

Infinity - Kicker

KnuKonceptz

I need a question asked being that I am gettin old(37 years old) and can't remember half the things all the times. I know this may sound crazy but what size wire(gauge) was used to power some of these OL'Skool amps of the entire 80's? I remember using the largest u could get at the autoparts store which was 10 gauge. Now I remember some serious sound sytems with multiple woofers and amps totaling 2000 watts plus, with that said I know they could of not use 10 gauge wire. One of my friends(older than me) said his crew used welding cable to power those powerful sytems. Now adays u must use 2 gauge or better if u do not want to set your car on fire. (That almost happen to me dammit). Is it nowadays with the new amps u must use the bigger wire or is the Old stuff jus better? Things that make u say Hmmmm?!

This is going back 20 years, but I'm pretty sure my Linear Power 3002 had 4awg power connections.

97 Maxima SE

Bunch of shit going in, check out the build

alpine_logo.jpgSundown_Banner.jpgxspower.png

wtf at yella...

anyways, i doubt the wire back in the day is any better than today's wire cuz how much better could it get? wire is wire lol. Whether it be copper or aluminum or copper clad alum, quality of the material wouldn't change.

I did not ask the material used LOL! I jus asked what was the size of the wire used to power the systems.

I did not ask the material used LOL! I jus asked what was the size of the wire used to power the systems.
Is it nowadays with the new amps u must use the bigger wire or is the Old stuff jus better?

i was responding to this part of your question

DSC06330-1.jpg

91' Jeep Cherokee - The Heep

Just Empty Every Pocket

96' Volvo 960 - The B◘x

[sPL_4_U]

HiFonics - Alpine

Pioneer - Clarion

Infinity - Kicker

KnuKonceptz

well im not the most knowledge person here but the electrical demands of your components will determine wire gauge,talking shit to the wrong one gets you owned or banned but feel free to talk trash all you like.

Edited by LOOKINFORSPL?

wtf at yella...

I dunno about 20+ years ago, but nowadays a lot of companies put plastif in the center of there wire and call it something fancy (like Monster Cables "flux shield", more like flux shit) and sell it for 5 times what it should cost. Wire like that is basically 4 gauge being sold with a 1/0 gauge label. Not all companies do that, but some do.

That's not to mention the thickness of the jackets...

Edited by 1992Chevy K1500

My comp setup (Not bad for what it is):

HP Compaq Presario V6120US laptop with:

15.4" widescreen

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6GHz processor

2x1GB stick DDR2 SDRAM (667 Mhz)

Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA HDD

128MB shared video memory

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

12 cell Lithium Ion battery (actual battery usage time: 6 hours)

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

On a USB 2.0 Wireless card