Second Skin Audio

low tuned box vs high tuned?

solosickness

That big of a box and that much power you need to run smaller port area to control the sub better. I run a little over 21k watts and run 3 18's in a 24 cube box and my port area is 245 sq in. All depends on what your trying to do in the long run, but I bet the lows sound really good.

Listen to what Andrew is telling you.

J&T DESIGNS

M5

4 Audioque 15's copper coils dropping Audiopipe, and picking up DB DRIVE OKUR

Powermasters

XS POWER

Dropping MaxxSonics

Pioneer

why does kicker reccomend 150 sq inch port....what will less port area do? but yea, the lows sound beautiful! and thick! but I cant hit nothing high at all there like a small bandwidth ;'(

ok andrew... well what i would like too "go for"

is air movement...lots of it, I have seen a few videos of a single solo x kicker doing full hairtricks....that is my goal, and i know it is possible.lol

Ride Stats:

2003 Ford focus Zx3 Hatch Walled System

X1 Solo X Kicker 18" "Enclosure: 7.8 cbft, Port Firing Into a Horn, On a 90*"

X1 Rockford Fosgate 40001bd "Now a Warhorse On my dresser"

x1 0g Big 3

x1 Kinetik 2400 "x4 Kinetik 2400's"

x1 Kinetik 1800

x2 Kinetik Special Edition True Silver Battery Terminals

x20 Gold Plated 0gauge 3/8 Ring Terminals

x25 Total ft: KnuKonceptz Kable 1/0 Silver Pearl* 2500+ Strands.

x15ft KnuKonceptz 8 Gauge.

-Soon Too Be Walled

Fav Quote:

They Dont Feal Me, But They Feal Me.

Hey everyone, just got done building and installing my 10 cube ft box my goal was 35hz, im pretty sure i accedentally tuned it lower, consitering the hardest hitting song i bang is...dj billie e beats for my van, witch is super low....

****can anyone tell me what freq the beats are on that song?****

cuz thats what my port screams bass at.

think i tuned it lower due too an internal brace behind the port, pretty positive thats what it is.

anyways, im thinkin bout rebuilding it, only too brace it better. Im a big fan of lows, and got more then I barganed for lol. and solos are not recommended to be ported at less then 35hz, i just dont wanna stress my sub...done heated her up 2-3 times, but im quick to know when enuff is enuff.

do lower freq's travel farther?

cuz i know tuning it high make it louder too the ear.

I did the same thing with my first box with my btl tuned it to 29 hz thinking it was going to be un real and little did i know most songs dont even get down to 30 hz. I ended up just giving demos with tones lol. Now i built a box tuned to 38 hz and it seems to carry farther and sounds a lot better on music.

steven.jpg

What does your port look like? Why don't you just shorten the port to raise the tuning frequency of the enclosure? Shortening the port reduces the mass of air inside the port and, thus, raises the fb.

If you start reducing port area, on the other hand, in a box that's already too big, you will run into port velocity problems (i.e. "port noise") really fast on that much power.

i would say a big box tuned low probably peaks at the tuning frequency and doesnt have a very flat response, meaning notes below and above tuning kind of fall off....could just be your amp settings too....whats the subsonic and lpf set to?

i likes me some audio stuff...

Archived