Sonic Electronix

Will increase in power be noticeable?

Hypothetical question here

I currently have 870 watts going to my subs...if I were to increase that power to about 1300 watts would it be audible or would I need to double the power in order to realize the difference?

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

You should be able to hear a difference in the increased amount of power that you'll have. That whole it takes double the power to hear an increase is bull. I've added 500 watts to 2000 before and was able to tell a difference, not to mention that it added .3 db in spl too.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

I'm not sure, but I've heard that a 33% increase in power will net you at or just under a 1 db increase. You have more than a 33% increase in power, so it really depends on the vehicle.

My comp setup (Not bad for what it is):

HP Compaq Presario V6120US laptop with:

15.4" widescreen

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6GHz processor

2x1GB stick DDR2 SDRAM (667 Mhz)

Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA HDD

128MB shared video memory

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

12 cell Lithium Ion battery (actual battery usage time: 6 hours)

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

On a USB 2.0 Wireless card

u will really notice if ur subs are not rated for that much power because they will blow. but if they can then yes.

2002 chevy avalanche

Currently have:

2 dc xl 18

set of T2652-s

scv-6k

Ct sounds 75.4

270a mechman

xp3000

d3400

Wanted:

saz 200.4

Second set of T2652-s

D3100's

deadner

You should be able to hear a difference in the increased amount of power that you'll have. That whole it takes double the power to hear an increase is bull. I've added 500 watts to 2000 before and was able to tell a difference, not to mention that it added .3 db in spl too.

your proly also much more acclimated to sound system and your ears are much more sensitive and in tune with the differences in sound levelsas well the power change that this guy plans on making would definitly be noticable thats almost double. but from 2000 watts with only a 500 watt increase a 0.3 db increase would hardly be noticable to tha average tuned human ear

your proly also much more acclimated to sound system and your ears are much more sensitive and in tune with the differences in sound levelsas well the power change that this guy plans on making would definitly be noticable thats almost double. but from 2000 watts with only a 500 watt increase a 0.3 db increase would hardly be noticable to tha average tuned human ear

Your probably right about having more of an "ear" for change. There have been times though when I thought some changes that I made to the car that had nothing to do with power made it sound louder, and when I finally put the car on the meter it had actually lost spl. I've kind of got this feeling right now that my car isn't quite as loud as it was, but I haven't metered it to prove my theory. I'm probably just used to it that I'm getting paranoid thinking I broke something.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Your probably right about having more of an "ear" for change. There have been times though when I thought some changes that I made to the car that had nothing to do with power made it sound louder, and when I finally put the car on the meter it had actually lost spl. I've kind of got this feeling right now that my car isn't quite as loud as it was, but I haven't metered it to prove my theory. I'm probably just used to it that I'm getting paranoid thinking I broke something.

i do the sane damn thing too man. It's never loud enough right. but you also have to take into consideration pending on where you live the more moisture in the air the more it dampens the sound i know i have that problem down here in Fl. but like u said you get used to it when that happens i just try to lay off the bass for a while like a week at the most if i can take and it hurts again