Sundown Audio

Headroom?

Dan208

I was wondering if there is a general guidline when it comes to headroom when chosing subs and amps? I'm sure it depends on the quality of the equipment used (such as Boss vs Sundown, etc.), but is there a "safe" number as far as how many watts over the RMS you can/should go on a good quality sub?

it totally depends on the sub. There is no special number at all. Im not even going to try and answer lol....

ask about a specific sub and im sure someone can tell you how much they can really handle.

for example...BTLs can run 2-3k over rms.....

its totally dependent on the sub you're talking about...enclosure design helps too.....

EDIT: for short im saying theres too many variables (even ones i didnt mention) to determine any kind of number.

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

I was wondering if there is a general guidline when it comes to headroom when chosing subs and amps? I'm sure it depends on the quality of the equipment used (such as Boss vs Sundown, etc.), but is there a "safe" number as far as how many watts over the RMS you can/should go on a good quality sub?

NO... You answered your own question already, it's very dependent on the products that you're using(sub(s) + amps). But to avoid voiding any sort of manufacturer's warranty you need to stick by the RMS, regardless of how conservative it may be. They only make it that certain amount of power for a reason.

/thread

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

If you have the chance, get a 1ohm solid stable amp that puts out the power you want at 2 or 4,, that is amp Head room.

Like the RF T1500-1BD. 1793 watts x 1 @ 1 ohm, 1217 watts x 1 @ 2 ohms & 735 watts x 1 @ 4 ohms. I never run it at 1 ohm.

Archived