Sundown Audio

Amp turned off and won't turn on

Nirvalica

I was driving to a friends house down a bumpy paved neighborhood road with my music pretty loud (but nothing louder then normal) when my amp just turned off. The bass cut out and the light on the remote knob went out. I checked the fuses, power cable and ground. It all looks good, but it doesn't seem to be getting any power. My mid/high amp is still playing fine, and it is connected to the battery and the ground in the same spots as my Sundown. In fact, I installed my bass wires before the mid/high amp wires, so the mid/high wires are connected to the ground and battery on top of the bass amp wires. So since it is working, I'm assuming the sundown must have contact in both places. I can't think of anything else that has happened besides the amp frying somehow... There wasn't any smoke or smell. My voltage isn't the best, but it was probably around 13v and I don't have the gain set too high. I set it a little lower then I could, so it wasn't even pushing full power. Any ideas? Tomorrow I'm probably going to disconnect, clean, and reconnect all power and ground contact points to see if that fixes it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the amp turned off right when it went over a decent bump in the road, so I figured it knocked a wire loose. Maybe it knocked something inside the amp loose?

as468x60pxbanner.gif

My Youtube Page. Check it out

The "SAV" - Sub-aural Assault Vehicle

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Image Dynamics CTX 6.5" Components

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

CDT 6.5" CL-E6NEO Front door Midbass

Kicker ZX350.4

Knukonceptz SS Karma 4 channel 6m RCA

Fi Q 18" w/ brushed aluminum dust cap

7cu ft. ported box tuned to 28hz

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Iraggi 240 amp Amputator Alt

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

Second Skin Damplifier Lite on roof and front doors

wheres you gain level at btw.. i know you said it was low... most likely shook something loose... is the amp mounted on your subwoofer box... vibrations from bass/road could have damaged something... open it up and take a pic of it for us

Team sundownWESTCOASTSPL.COM we're throwing dbdrag events very soon visit the website for details

is the amp mounted on your subwoofer box... vibrations from bass/road could have damaged something...

regardless of if it is mounted on the box or not, hitting a large bump could have knocked something loose inside. you may have blew an output from the shaking.

8 DC Level 4 M2 15s2 DC Audio 5ks26^2 clamshell tuned to 30hz9 Kinetik 1400sMechman externally reg'd 340 S seriesin a 99 Jeep Cherokee :DClick to see J00bles' Youtube Channel

The amp is under my seat. It's not mounted to anything, but it's pretty snug. The gain is like halfway. I'm pretty sure my headunit has 2v outputs, which is probably less. Anyways, I set it with a DMM lower then I calculated to get 1000 watts at 1 ohm. I'll open it up tomorrow after school and take a few pictures. It's a new amp, only like 3 months old. I hope nothing inside came loose...

as468x60pxbanner.gif

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

Kicker ZX350.4

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

i didn't see it mentioned but what series sundown is it.. it should also be mounted some how i think...

It's the SAZ-1000d The amp is nestled under the seat pretty well. It is about as wide and long as the open space under the seat, so it really can't move at all. It does have space for air and I have a computer fan under there to cool it off. But I hadn't been playing it too long at the time anyways, so it shouldn't have overheated (plus, wouldn't it go into protect?). I'll just have to open it up tomorrow and see what I can see, I guess.

as468x60pxbanner.gif

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

Kicker ZX350.4

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

Check your remote wire going into your sub amp. When you hit the bump it may have come loose and would cause your other amp to still work and the sub amp to shut off. That is a very easy fix and could possibly be what happend

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Check your remote wire going into your sub amp. When you hit the bump it may have come loose and would cause your other amp to still work and the sub amp to shut off. That is a very easy fix and could possibly be what happend

The thing is, I have my remote going into the sub amp and then daisy chained to the other amp. So it's getting a remote signal. It's also what I run the fan on, and that thing spins when I turn the car on, but the amp won't turn on.

as468x60pxbanner.gif

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

Kicker ZX350.4

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

Well, I figured out the problem. The amp isn't getting power from the power wire for some reason. First I touched the ground and the power together and nothing happened, so I cleaned the terminal and checked the fuse but still no power. I used a small piece of wire to jump from the remote to the power on the amp and the lights came on. So the amp is fine. I just need to figure out why there isn't power running to the amp. Any ideas now? I'm probably going to try to clean the terminal some more and see if that helps, but if not, what else should I check? I also checked the wire at the firewall and it doesn't look like there is any kind of damage to the wire jacket there, so I don't think it could be shorting out. I have a feeling it's a problem with the terminal...

as468x60pxbanner.gif

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

Kicker ZX350.4

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

recheck your fuse and all ends of the wire.

either the wire isnt hooked up to the battery, the wire isnt connected to the fuse holder, the fuse is blown, or its not connected to the amp.

when it comes to your power wire, there are VERY FEW places where it could go bad.

8 DC Level 4 M2 15s2 DC Audio 5ks26^2 clamshell tuned to 30hz9 Kinetik 1400sMechman externally reg'd 340 S seriesin a 99 Jeep Cherokee :DClick to see J00bles' Youtube Channel

Archived