Sundown Audio

My Amp Keeps Blowin Fuses!

mattheuw1

I've got a Diamond D5 1200.1 Mono amplifier and it rejects fuses. It worked fine until I disconnected it and then reconnected it without disconnecting the battery. I do not want to have to purchase a new amp cuz this is my baby. I've tried new fuses and as soon as I connect the power they blow instantly! I took the amp apart to see if I could see any problem and the only thing is a little brown ooze on the bottom of the board (doesn't look serious) and crappy soldering near right under the power/remote/ground terminals. I have pics of them and need help. I want to try to repair it myself or find someone local to repair it for me before buying a new one.

If you want to see more clear pictures I can email them to you.

The first pic is the power/remote/ground bottom of board

The second pic is this brown ooze coming from a solder

The third pic is the top side of the board

post-1255-1178596662_thumb.jpg

post-1255-1178596739_thumb.jpg

post-1255-1178596812_thumb.jpg

If I could get a closer pic of the first one, I'd bet that's your problem! :)

4 15" FI Q D2's in 12 cubes tuned to 32hz

1- T1000.1bd's

3 Maxx 29 deep cycles

4 runs of 1/0 gauge

-Big 3

-Trunk sealed off from the cabin

Custom 15.8 dual-volt switching MLA module

All in a CAR.

yea just clean up those solders.

Is this a common thing to happen when you got a few sparks? It almost looks like the heat from the sparks melted the solder or the person that previously repaired this amp f***ed up. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm going to try and re-solder the joints and see if it fixes my fuse rejection problem. If anyone has any other ideas let me know cuz I don't what much about the guts of an amp.

I'd try to clean up those solders as well because either they are shorting out on the case from being so messed up or you have some other serious problem. My guess is that you will most likely have to send it in to get fixed because it either has a shorted resistor in the relay circuit or a few blown Mosfets since I'm betting you heard a POP. Shit does tend to happen when it has the opportunity (murphy's law) I'd say clean up those power connections & if it doesn't fix the problem, chalk the whole thing up to a learning experience & send your baby in man. B)

4 15" FI Q D2's in 12 cubes tuned to 32hz

1- T1000.1bd's

3 Maxx 29 deep cycles

4 runs of 1/0 gauge

-Big 3

-Trunk sealed off from the cabin

Custom 15.8 dual-volt switching MLA module

All in a CAR.

I agree with Chris,

I would definately have a pro look at the amp cause unless you have experience with them they can be quite decieving when trying to repair them, could be your solder problem could be something else.

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

Archived