Alternator Question Please!

I have a question..I installed that Stinger volt meter in my car and now when I drive down the road bumpin my music, I notice that my voltage will drop down to like 12volts then it will stay there for a little while then it will jump back up to 14.4 volts is that normal or is it supposed to stay at 14.4 volts..It only does it like 10 minutes into riding around...When it gets hot I quess...Could be why they call it an alternator huh..Yeah this Voltage Guage os something new for me..I have never had one in my vehicle that gives realtime readings...

I have a question..I installed that Stinger volt meter in my car and now when I drive down the road bumpin my music, I notice that my voltage will drop down to like 12volts then it will stay there for a little while then it will jump back up to 14.4 volts is that normal or is it supposed to stay at 14.4 volts..It only does it like 10 minutes into riding around...When it gets hot I quess...Could be why they call it an alternator huh..

does it jump all of a sudden? or does it rise back up to 14.4?

If it dives down to 12 and sits there then all of a sudden jumps back up, I would say you might have an issue with the charging system.

if it just takes awhile to recharge the battery then thats normal for a stock alt, I would look into getting a hi-output to help charge quicker.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

I have had trouble with my pulley coming loose on my alt...I have a 160 amp for my Honda Civic..That is High Output for that car...Yeah it goes down all of a sudden then it comes back up slowly. It is weird..I hope that Bitch ain't loose..I just tightened it up yesterday...It came loose driving down the road..I put red locktight on the shaft hoping it wouldn't come back loose..It only doesn it after it has been running for a little while...

I have had trouble with my pulley coming loose on my alt...I have a 160 amp for my Honda Civic..That is High Output for that car...Yeah it goes down all of a sudden then it comes back up slowly. It is weird..I hope that Bitch ain't loose..I just tightened it up yesterday...It came loose driving down the road..I put red locktight on the shaft hoping it wouldn't come back loose..It only doesn it after it has been running for a little while...

If it goes down quick and slowly recharges might be the norm for your setup. How big of a system do you have? How many amps does your amps pull?

I would deffently recheck the pully, you don't need that coming lose.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

I don't think it has come loose..Cause I don't hear any Grinding...Well I have a Regular Starter battery up front and a Everstart Maxx29 Marine battery in the back..It could be the normal operation, I just have never seen the Voltage Alternate in Realtime..Correct me if I am wrong..The alternator charges your batteries up, but to keep from overcharging them, it alternates current to keep them from being Damaged..You guys think it is just doing that or do you guys have one of these Stinger Voltage meters in your rides and yours stays at 14.4 all the time???

Mine dips all the time, I go from 14.4 to 9 volts in about 30 seconds, even with 20 batteries. It takes my alt awhile to bring them back up.

what are you using for power wire? what size.

Also, have you done your big 3?

Mine dips all the time, I go from 14.4 to 9 volts in about 30 seconds, even with 20 batteries. It takes my alt awhile to bring them back up.

what are you using for power wire? what size.

Also, have you done your big 3?

I have done all off that Big 3, I am using 0 Guage wire..2 Batterys with about 1000 watts Rms..Us amps Xt4000d..It is just weird..I don't think anything is wrong cause I just went outside and tried to move my pulley and it didn't move. It is still tight..I also went out and cranked the car up and it was at 14.4 volts...I think My drop is normal..Cause it always comes back to 14.4...I will watch it over the next couple of days...See what happens..I have already contacted the guy I bought the alt from..He says if it keeps doing it to send it back..He will take care of it..So..I am just getting my set up ready for the New amp I bought...American Bass VFL 150.1...Gonna Run my 15" FI BL off of it at 1 ohm...

Try this, turn your parking lights on and then bump your system for awhile. See if it drops as quickly or not.

does it drop when u are just sitting at idle and then go up when u start to drive...cause thats normal. sometimes my volt meter kinda gets stuck i think...like i will be sittin at idle and its reading like 12.8 and then i take off and it reads that for a couple of seconds and then jumps to 14.4, but i know that as soon as i take off the voltage is going up...i just think the meter gets delayed a little when there is a sudden increase in voltage...

i likes me some audio stuff...

Archived