windows 7 ram problem

I just built up a gaming rig, had windows xp installed so I only had originally a 2 gb stick of ram, since xp doesnt use the full 4 only like 3.6 or something, I didnt want to take a chance with my video card being 1gb might of messed something up.

So i installed windows 7 Ultimate. I put in my 2nd stick, and for some reason it isnt using it all. I look under Compter>Properties and it says I have 4 gb installed(2 gb useable).

Everest says I only have 2 gb. In my bios, only reads 2 gb. Could I have a faulty piece of ram? I dont have any bio remapping settings, tho I have contacted Gigabyte and still waiting for a reply. I might trygiving good ol'e microsoft support line a shout.

Any ideas, Ive tried doing the msconfig>boot>advanced>enable max.memory, and even put it to 4.

I know alot of others have had this same problem, I have heard ultimate saves some ram for hardware, and maybe my graphics card is screwing it up? Everything is new new new.

Intel i5 750

gigabyte p55-ud2

ati radeon 5770

Gskill Ripjaws gaming series ram2x2 gb 1066mhz

The only thing I can think of, is faulty ram, or maybeupgrading my bio and flashing it. I see that there is a new version, maybe try that? Cant be to hard to flash my bios eh?

p2pb5221902.jpg

Team PSI

Team Shock Industries

Team XS Power

Vertex Audio

Sundown Audio

Knukonceptz

with any ram usage 4GB or more, YOU MUST ENABLE MEMORY REMAPPING. However, that may still not be the issue. If you had a faulty stick of ram, the PC wouldn't POST, so since it is, that eliminates that issue. You must also be using a x64 version of windows....ARE YOU? IMO, update the BIOS of the motherboard, and then see what it is doing....... 100% do this

Edited by newls1

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

ohh by the way man, it isnt hard to doa bios flash it is? just dl the new bios and away we go? just like that?

wait a minute.....I thought you werent a noob when it comes to this stuff? Then you should know the answer to your question...right??? Im just playin with ya bro, try not to be cocky here ok......... I have "Bricked" plenty of bios flashes before that were totally out of my control. Bios flashing now a days is very safe, and stright forward. Gigabyte has a bios flash feature I think in the bios section, or as the PC posts, you have to hit a certain "F" key to enter. Just but the bios on a USB flash drive, and let the flashing program do the rest, very easy.

**EDIT** in the rare event you brick the BIOS flash, I believe your board has a dual bios feature, so dont worry

Edited by newls1

wait a minute.....I thought you werent a noob when it comes to this stuff? Then you should know the answer to your question...right??? Im just playin with ya bro, try not to be cocky here ok......... I have "Bricked" plenty of bios flashes before that were totally out of my control. Bios flashing now a days is very safe, and stright forward. Gigabyte has a bios flash feature I think in the bios section, or as the PC posts, you have to hit a certain "F" key to enter. Just but the bios on a USB flash drive, and let the flashing program do the rest, very easy.

**EDIT** in the rare event you brick the BIOS flash, I believe your board has a dual bios feature, so dont worry

famous last words as an SA....................................oops. lol

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

You should be using the slot closet to the skt, then skip 1 slot, and use the next. So in other words, DIMM 1 & DIMM 3 With that board I believe. Using slot 1 & 4 is single channel mode, and the board may be wigging out cause high density DIMM's being used in single channel/mixed mode......see what im saying? Try DIMM slots 1 & 3

ahh you are right newls1, i called gigabyte and the nice chinese lady said "nooooooo you have to use the white dimm's not the blue dimm's"

I had 1 white and 1 blue, so put the other 1 in the white, and bingo! I now have 3.50 useable gb, the other .5 i believe is used for hardware. wohooo!

p2pb5221902.jpg

Team PSI

Team Shock Industries

Team XS Power

Vertex Audio

Sundown Audio

Knukonceptz