adding batteries

so i go to local audio store and talk to this guy about adding a second battery and he talks me into upgrading my engine battery to a kinetik hc1800 cause he says you want your batteries to match a weaker battery will drain from the stronger battery thats why you need them to match , my system has a jl audio 500/1 and a soundstream 500 4 channel running my highs and mids which is 75 rms a channel, i have redtop up front , anyway he says the hc 1800 should be plenty to run my system,and latter when i go bigger i should get another hc 1800 in the rear what do think about mixing batteries or should they all be same size brand

upgrading batteries is never a bad idea. Optima makes some nice batteries, and if your not having problems with the redtop keeping up with its duties, then leave it for now. Also another thing to consider, when adding multiple batteries, you will also need to upgrade your charging system. you might even wanna look into uprgrading your alternator now. Also, look into doing the big three if not already done.

1997 Astro

front:6 sets of T3 componets

Subs: 8 level 5 18"s (building 6th order BP)

Amps: 4 really big ones (totalling just shy of 50K)

Batts:

Alt: Ohio Generator

1996 Chevy Suburban

Sub amp: A fifth really big amp

Subwoofer: 2-15" DC Level 4 XL

Batts: C&D high rate--(x4)

upgrading batteries is never a bad idea. Optima makes some nice batteries, and if your not having problems with the redtop keeping up with its duties, then leave it for now. Also another thing to consider, when adding multiple batteries, you will also need to upgrade your charging system. you might even wanna look into uprgrading your alternator now. Also, look into doing the big three if not already done.

ya i got big 3 done just wondering if ok to mix these to batteries

You should never mix batteries of different brands or types.

The problem with mixing batteries is that they will have varying ESRs (electro static resistance) and different resting voltages. So the battery sitting at a higher voltage will charge the other battery, then when that battery charges up to above the first battery, it will recharge it.

This constant flow of current back and forth will cause the plates to heat up a little, and will diminish the life of the batteries.

One solution is a dual battery isolater.

Another solution is to just match all your batteries.

So the guy at your shop is correct.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

The problem with mixing batteries is that they will have varying ESRs (electro static resistance) and different resting voltages. So the battery sitting at a higher voltage will charge the other battery, then when that battery charges up to above the first battery, it will recharge it.

This constant flow of current back and forth will cause the plates to heat up a little, and will diminish the life of the batteries.

thanks man i gues i will get more kinetik batteries should they all be the same size

thanks man i gues i will get more kinetik batteries should they all be the same size

search around on the net for kinetik batteries bro. the shop i have in my area wants twice as much as i can get them on ebay.

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

Yea, but what about us guys with multiple runs of wire? Are we supposed to spend alot of money on isolators and put one of every run?

2004 Yellow F150 STX 4x4 Single Cab

2 Yellow DC Power 270SP's Alts

4(and counting) XS Power 6500's

4 DD3515s Supercharged

53cu.ft 4th order blowthrough

8 DD M1b's

6 Selenium 8's

2 Selenium ST350s

154.1 @ 41hz Legal Burp

Build Log

Yea, but what about us guys with multiple runs of wire? Are we supposed to spend alot of money on isolators and put one of every run?

Just gotta isolate the battery that is different. Most isolators dont handle too much current, just what is needed to charge a battery. So if you are talking 6-8 runs, I suggest matching your batteries, dont mix.

Mixing sizes like a 1400 and 1600 is OK, as long as they are the same brand and type.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

Just gotta isolate the battery that is different. Most isolators dont handle too much current, just what is needed to charge a battery. So if you are talking 6-8 runs, I suggest matching your batteries, dont mix.

Mixing sizes like a 1400 and 1600 is OK, as long as they are the same brand and type.

I have a regular G34 Optima under the hood, 5 runs of pos to the back, where 8 Optima D31's sit.

Ive never believed in the whole isolator thing anyways.

2004 Yellow F150 STX 4x4 Single Cab

2 Yellow DC Power 270SP's Alts

4(and counting) XS Power 6500's

4 DD3515s Supercharged

53cu.ft 4th order blowthrough

8 DD M1b's

6 Selenium 8's

2 Selenium ST350s

154.1 @ 41hz Legal Burp

Build Log

Archived