Second Skin Audio

So why Fi over Kicker??

MOUZEBINN

I originally was going to go Kicker L5 route since I can get one new for $200... Yet everyone has told me go with the Fi SSD with copper coils, will this sub basically produce MORE bass? and BETTER sound quality? or is everyone just pulling my leg?

I already have two of these, im just wondering why not the L5's for SPL?

Current Setup (pictures/videos uploaded)

1997 Grand Prix Se 3.8 V6 (220HP stock)

105A Alternator

Big III

5/8 Gauge Wiring

1 x Alpine MRP-450.1 (1x450RMS @ 2OHM)

1 x Alpine MRP-500.2 (2x250RMS @ 4OHM)

2 x 6 1/2 Infinity Reference 3-WAY (250RMS)

2 x 6 by 9 Infinity Reference 3-WAY (300RMS)

1 x Pioneer dEH-11

1 x 3.5cu .75MDF tuned @ 33hz (VENTED)

2 x Kicker COMP 15" S4

Coming Soon! (pictures/videos included)

1997 Grand Prix SE with rear seat removed

225A Iraggi Alternator

Big III

Rear Deep Cycle

0/1 Gauge Wiring

1 x Alpine MRP-500

1 x Alpine MRP-450

1 x Alpine CDA-9885 60x4 RMS

1 x Hifonics Brutus 1605D (1600RMS x 1 @ 1 OHM)

2 x Fi SSD 15" Copper Coil D1

1 x 5.5cu .75MDF tuned @ 33hz (VENTED)

they aren't pulling your leg.

the ssd is a great sub and i would chose it over an L5 any day of the week

SSD would sound way better than an L5 would and it can and will handle more power than the L5 or L7 would

the only person i wouldnt let build my box would be Ray.

Team Heavy-Flex4 SA 12's tuned to 29hz

Ampere Audio 3800.1 @ 1 ohmXS Power D3100Big 3Stock alt

SSD would sound way better than an L5 would and it can and will handle more power than the L5 or L7 would

So why is a Kicker L5 15" like $400 and a Fi SSD is like $200?

105A Alternator

Big III

5/8 Gauge Wiring

1 x Pioneer dEH-11

2 x Kicker COMP 15" S4

225A Iraggi Alternator

Big III

Rear Deep Cycle

0/1 Gauge Wiring

1 x Alpine MRP-500

1 x Alpine MRP-450

kicker is a mainstream company they know they're going to get their money regardless.. walk in to audio express u will see kicker but not fi ssd

i just think that kicker is a waste of money i've had 2 L5 15's then upgraded L7 15's and then 4 8"L7's and imo they sound like crap

edit: spelling

BUILDLOG

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=61862

"98crewcab"Never a POS....just always "a work in progress" lol that's how we roll bitches!!!

Your a lowlife kid. I bet your mother wants to kill herself for not swallowing your ass.

Well, I don't have the SSD, but I do have the Q. And I had L5s before the Q. And the Q sounds so much better than the L5s I had. But like the others have said, the SSD's will take more power than the L5 and L7s easily. I would definitely choose the SSD over the L5/L7s.

Because it comes with the amazing kicker name tag! That is pretty much it. Kicker isn't a bad product, I like their products, when I ran their subs/amp, they were great. It's just the name of the product that makes it cost so much. Ever check JL prices? Do you think they are that much because they are the best? Well, they are not the best brand, but they are priced like that just because they are JL. Kicker is a mainstream brand, Fi isn't.

Btw Sp33dyG, I love the part of your sig that says "You generally get 10s for sound quality not SPL", then "Tell that to Thor obviously he missed the memo", it made me literally laugh-out-loud :lol:

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

I figured that was why and no I don't think JL is the best... they make GREAT woofers but for $500 a W7 13.5" I think I'll pass... Fi though, I really like the look, specs and price so yeah I think im going to stick with the brand. Any similar brands I havn't heard about that is really good but unheard of? that is as good or better than the SSD in the same price range?

105A Alternator

Big III

5/8 Gauge Wiring

1 x Pioneer dEH-11

2 x Kicker COMP 15" S4

225A Iraggi Alternator

Big III

Rear Deep Cycle

0/1 Gauge Wiring

1 x Alpine MRP-500

1 x Alpine MRP-450

I originally was going to go Kicker L5 route since I can get one new for $200... Yet everyone has told me go with the Fi SSD with copper coils, will this sub basically produce MORE bass? and BETTER sound quality? or is everyone just pulling my leg?

I already have two of these, im just wondering why not the L5's for SPL?

like everyone is saying your buying the brand name with kicker, but with fi your buying a good product. I personally say kicker also inflates their subs power capibilites i have not had the best of luck with them. I have fi and absolutely love em...

steven.jpg

Well, I don't have the SSD, but I do have the Q. And I had L5s before the Q. And the Q sounds so much better than the L5s I had. But like the others have said, the SSD's will take more power than the L5 and L7s easily. I would definitely choose the SSD over the L5/L7s.

Because it comes with the amazing kicker name tag! That is pretty much it. Kicker isn't a bad product, I like their products, when I ran their subs/amp, they were great. It's just the name of the product that makes it cost so much. Ever check JL prices? Do you think they are that much because they are the best? Well, they are not the best brand, but they are priced like that just because they are JL. Kicker is a mainstream brand, Fi isn't.

Btw Sp33dyG, I love the part of your sig that says "You generally get 10s for sound quality not SPL", then "Tell that to Thor obviously he missed the memo", it made me literally laugh-out-loud :lol:

JL is like the Asanti rim of car audio.I mean don't get me wrong, I love my Asanti's, and I will deal JL all day long, but don't think for a second it costs anywhere close to $600 to build that W7.It is exactly as you said, you are paying for the name.Just like Dynamat and SecondSkin.Second Skin is better and a bit cheaper, but Dynamat is more because they have been around longer and have built up this market around it's name and that's why they can charge what they do.

I figured that was why and no I don't think JL is the best... they make GREAT woofers but for $500 a W7 13.5" I think I'll pass... Fi though, I really like the look, specs and price so yeah I think im going to stick with the brand. Any similar brands I havn't heard about that is really good but unheard of? that is as good or better than the SSD in the same price range?

Fi, Ascendant Audio, AudioQue, Sundown Audio, DC Sound Labs are all brands that don't throw a big chunk into advertising their name and are not as heard of but yet make some of the best subs on the market.There are many more, but those are just a few.

Archived