Is fiberglass mat stronger than fiberglass cloth

i find it the opposite, but i dont think you will be lacking anything by using one or the other, if you are in doubt just add some more layers.

Good luck

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

I clam to be no fiberglass guru.... but I am pretty sure the mat is stronger due to the random fibers. (atleast ive heard this) Either way, cloth tends to be thinner so you definitely need more layers.

I clam to be no fiberglass guru.... but I am pretty sure the mat is stronger due to the random fibers. (atleast ive heard this) Either way, cloth tends to be thinner so you definitely need more layers.

yezzir you're right, its more dense usually too. But its not really different than just adding more layers of cloth to compensate. Maybe you can say cloth gets shit done quicker....

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

Ya Ive got no problem adding layers. My wife just bitches when the little strans of fiberglass get dragged through out the house when I come in from the shop and to keep her from bitching about the mess and keep me from cleaning the house I'll just use cloth.

steven.jpg

It all depends on how and what you're using it for. If you're glassing something perfectly flat where you can use one whole piece of cloth (not torn or cut anywhere) then this will definitely be stronger of course. However if you're doing curves, you would have to cut the cloth into many pieces, and at those parts where the glass is not an entire piece is where it will be weak. With mat on curves, the edges will blend together much better, and lay down tighter with the previous layer, especially if torn and not cut.

Personally I never have seen a need to use cloth. If I did need to it would be for making a flat glass surface. However if I needed a flat surface, I would just use mdf. Cheaper and easier than building up that many layers of glass to get the same strength. A flat surface of fiberglass will almost always flex unless built up strong enough. Therefore it's just easier to use mdf.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

what are you fiberglassing?

Well I built an experimental box for my btl's (the stuff in my sig) just to see how it would sound, but I am ready to do a wall so im about to start it since school just ended for the next few weeks.

steven.jpg

Archived