i was told that "cutting" holes into the bottom of the air filter housing (not the air filter itself), would allow it to breath more, thus giving me more sound, and possibly better performance. Has anyone ever done/seen this done? If so, how effective could it be, and is there a point where too much added air might cause the car to bog down?

If Morgan Freeman narrated a story on how great AIDS is, I would be captivated and tempted to contract it myself. His voice just fills my soul with warm fuzzies and puppy tears.

He has NO idea and may have a touch of autism to be honest.

Is this guy real or is he joking? i actually mistook him for a lesbian in that demo video

Wanted to mess around with a box for the garage. Was thinking 4 6x9 in 4 cube at like 30 hz...

These are the things that make me lol

bump

If Morgan Freeman narrated a story on how great AIDS is, I would be captivated and tempted to contract it myself. His voice just fills my soul with warm fuzzies and puppy tears.

Is this guy real or is he joking? i actually mistook him for a lesbian in that demo video

Wanted to mess around with a box for the garage. Was thinking 4 6x9 in 4 cube at like 30 hz...

Its just like running a cone filter IMO. Most cars have holes in the bottom anyways in case there was moisture buildup in the bottom of air-box.

I've never seen any problems with opening your intake up. Plus side with intake filter/kit is the sound you get. (If you enjoy that kinda sound)

Although depending on where the air-box is, you could possibly be letting more heat into air-box which raises intake temps.

Derp.

Its just like running a cone filter IMO. Most cars have holes in the bottom anyways in case there was moisture buildup in the bottom of air-box.

I've never seen any problems with opening your intake up. Plus side with intake filter/kit is the sound you get. (If you enjoy that kinda sound)

Although depending on where the air-box is, you could possibly be letting more heat into air-box which raises intake temps.

i have a K&N filter that you can "clean".. this is on a 94 Grand Marquis. It has a short "tube" that looks like an Aero port coming out of the Filter housing facing toward the front grill. I went to the junkyard and bought the lower half of another Filter housing, which came with the "tube". I was thinking of just cutting a hole in the first housing, and adding the tube, thus using twu tubes in one housing. Only place for the second tube would be facing toward motor, making temperature a reality. Worst case, I try this, and it doesn't work as desired, I just use the second housing (unmodified, with only 1 hole). I'm getting anxious, because I won't see my friend with the drill bit I need til Monday. I have duel flowmasters in H-Pipe turndowns in middle of undercarriage. What increases, if any, can I expect if this "works?

So basically your gonna cut a hole roughly 2.5-4" in the bottom of air-box and face it towards the motor?

If so the added heat would IMO increase intake temps, thus possibly losing power. Plus side is the sound you'd get from it.

IMO just keep the K&N filter in place with stock tubing and try and route the 2nd tube lower to get a true cold air effect. Or just throw a cone filter on it for a lil increase in throttle response and the cool intake sound.

This is your engine bay correct?

Mercury%20GM%2094%20Engine%20Bay.JPG

Derp.

So basically your gonna cut a hole roughly 2.5-4" in the bottom of air-box and face it towards the motor?

If so the added heat would IMO increase intake temps, thus possibly losing power. Plus side is the sound you'd get from it.

IMO just keep the K&N filter in place with stock tubing and try and route the 2nd tube lower to get a true cold air effect. Or just throw a cone filter on it for a lil increase in throttle response and the cool intake sound.

This is your engine bay correct?

looks like it. what if I custom made a second tube and positioned it at a downward angle? does it matter how long the tube is, or just so that it receives cold air? How much increase in sound COULD I expect, if any?

The only increase in sound you'll get is the 'roar' from the less restrictive intake system. I doubt it matters how long the tube is, as long as it doesn't run the length of your car or look like a little twisty straw you'll be fine.

Getting cold air would be the goal here. Like position the tubing so it sits behind the bumper, in front of wheel well, etc.. As long as you get 'cold' air.

But instead of all that hassle just get a cold air kit or piece one together via a Spectre mock up kit, then buy the pieces you need and place a cone filter on it.

You'll still get your sound plus increase in throttle response.

Derp.

The only increase in sound you'll get is the 'roar' from the less restrictive intake system. I doubt it matters how long the tube is, as long as it doesn't run the length of your car or look like a little twisty straw you'll be fine.

Getting cold air would be the goal here. Like position the tubing so it sits behind the bumper, in front of wheel well, etc.. As long as you get 'cold' air.

But instead of all that hassle just get a cold air kit or piece one together via a Spectre mock up kit, then buy the pieces you need and place a cone filter on it.

You'll still get your sound plus increase in throttle response.

good answers and opinions to my questions.. I'm going to try it, but like I said, if it's boo boo, I'm gonna make it stock and just buy the kit. Thanks for the help SOLO

anybody know of a site that MIGHT sell the intake for my car?? there's not as many upgrades for a Crown Vic/Marquis as I would like..