Second Skin Audio

Another This Vs That

I know its another one of "those" posts but im going to try and be as specific as i can.

Right now im running 2 18" hdc3's walled and am fairly satisfied with it, but i want to do 1 of two things seeing as that im only playing with 3kwrms.

Pay someone to help me with a wall design that would be more solid and tuned a bit lower...(im at 35hz right now)

Or run 4 15" SDC 2.5 walled. Im working with about 16 cubes total, but i guess my goal is to move a little more air and i figured if i get more cone area off the same power i would be louder.

i have had my HDC3's since july, and was thinking about selling them to fund the 4 15's but im not sure if it is a wise idea.

Suggestions anyone?

Well 4 15's on the same power as 2 18's would hit harder.

AQ subs are beasts and can usually take a lil more than rated so i would say wall off 4 15's and call it a day

EDIT: i noticed in your avatar it looks like your ports are at the top. I've read in a few threads that by moving the ports closer to the floor can make it louder to the ear.

Edited by wildcard4040
i think i just gave myself a concussion i facepalmed so hard.

and for the 1's that dont like me.....

well, Im still here fuckers. Cant get rid of me that easy.

If you're not satisfied with your current setup I'd suggest rebuilding the wall to a more efficient design before you buy new products and rebuild anyways. Have you checked what kind of clamped power you're getting or what your imp rise is??

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

If you're not satisfied with your current setup I'd suggest rebuilding the wall to a more efficient design before you buy new products and rebuild anyways. Have you checked what kind of clamped power you're getting or what your imp rise is??

I have not clamped because i dont have those resources. I am running a Massive P30001 so im at 2 ohms regardless, and there probably isnt much IMP rise anyway.

I would hate to spend 150 dollars on more wood/fiberglass to build a new design and only gain a DB.... However, i have contemplated staggering my woofers port on drivers side and tuning a bit lower. However the way my dimensions are i dont think i can pull it off.

I do agree with you though, i do think my box could be built stronger/better port design, thats why i made this thread to get the best idea.

Either drop 800 on new woofers and box or 200 on a new wall.

Thanks again for everyones input.

Edited by mxman38

I have not clamped because i dont have those resources. I am running a Massive P30001 so im at 2 ohms regardless, and there probably isnt much IMP rise anyway.

I would hate to spend 150 dollars on more wood/fiberglass to build a new design and only gain a DB.... However, i have contemplated staggering my woofers port on drivers side and tuning a bit lower. However the way my dimensions are i dont think i can pull it off.

I do agree with you though, i do think my box could be built stronger/better port design, thats why i made this thread to get the best idea.

Either drop 800 on new woofers and box or 200 on a new wall.

Thanks again for everyones input.

you probably have more impedence rise than you realize . What are you hitting now. I dont think you understand what it takes to achieve a full db gain once you break into the high 40s and low 50s.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

yeah i dont want to sound like im very knowledgeable when it come to IMP rise and all that stuff. Im only 20, been in the game for about 5 years but im still learning everyday.

I havent been metered yet However if i were to guess i would probably be in the high 40's if not low 50's. my old set up with 2 t10001's and 4 15" cvrs stock alt hit a 146.5 at 45hz, and this set up seem much louder especially around the 35hz area. Again i should probably get metered, but they want 20 dollars and i hate paying them that to get metered for 10 min.

Its really what is in my best interest at this point, im open to try anything.

Heres a couple pictures so you guys have an idea *keep in mind i think having such a small cabin helps with higher number, then again maybe not*

newbuild18.jpg

i contemplated these designs

wallideas.jpg

wallideas.jpg

mod2.jpg

port near the roof is probably killing you. Subs pass side port driver side will be loudest but you're going to feel like you are sitting in the port all day. been there done that.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.