DC Sound Lab

wires too hot on my DCs

i just hooked up new out of the box audiopipe 3001 amp to one of my level 5s i set the gains with a 40hz test tone and a multi meter then i ran it hard but not wrong just hard while i was on the third song i noticed my wire conectors on the back of the sub box sparking and smoking they are quarter 20 bolts with triple nuts. 6 guage speaker wire. i shut down the system right away and felt the dust cap on that sub and it was hot also. so do i have a bad amp and if so how do i check that out by my calculations i was runing less than 1500 wats into that DC sub i have seen amps do things like this before but dont know why and i did burn one of my fingers pretty good when i checked to see if the nuts were just loose that was before i found the hot dust cap. the wires at the amp end were not hot but almost melting at the sub end. could it be that the 6 guage wire is not enough for the DCs

mobile chornobyl

hmmm interesting.... I'm gonna say the obvious clipped sig.

You say the 3rd song at that level. Did you smell the coils before this?

Also what is your box rise? Just because its a 3k amp does not mean you get that power in a real world application. I've seen many amps including cactus 12k's at .5ohm nominal only put out 3400 because of a 4.5ohm box rise.

if it was sparking your lead were probly hitting eachother or the coil is already burnt ( if i read your port right)

i run 2 audiopipe 3000s to my 4 level 3s with no problems a level 5 should gobble up the ap3000 no problem lol

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

lol see if the coils are wired wrong..... it completely wrong seen that happen before .

you could have it wired hot to ground by accident.

just check.

if so your shorting it out.

Edited by Tooshort064

95 Civic Coupe

Pioneer AVH-P7600DVD

Kinetik HC-1200 In Front

Kinetik HC-2000 In Rear

Memphis 16-MCA3004

2 X Memphis 16-MCD1000 With Maxxsonics MLX-100

2 X DC LVL 4 XL 12's

Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS In Door's

Kenwood KFC-6982ie In Rear Deck