1985 Buick Regal Limited Build Log

Well I know it doesn't look like much, but getting the ball rolling again. Went out and bought a "couple" chain hoists so we didn't break our backs trying to lift this beast. (Keep in mind the frame has 2 full sheets of 3/16" sheet metal on it, and half a sheet of 1/4" sheet metal on it, and by sheet I mean 4 ft x 8 ft sheets.)

ChainHoists-2.jpg

Got the hoists mounted up and finally time to take the frame off the rotisseries for the first time in 3 years or something like that. Lol.

11-17-12Frame2.jpg

From there it was onto putting the frame "on the ground"

11-17-12Frame.jpg

Next on the "to-do" list is to bolt on all the suspension....check fitment of all the modified suspension, and put the body back on the frame to make sure nothing hits anywhere and the body lines up with the frame still. From there it will be broken back down and work will continue.

Firm believer in letting my cars do my talking!

You can't rush quality, it doesn't happen overnight. Quality takes time and dedication, but the end results more than pay for it.

"Black Pearl" Build Thread

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/67183-1985-buick-regal-limited-build-log/page-1

• 3 weeks later...

Hot DAMN! The escalade is nicer than anything ive ever driven. Id hate to let my son drive it if i put all that work into it! lol. Looks SICK. Good to see the Black Pearl didn't die. Keep up the good work man.

By the way how did you power the radio? I thought the power wheels were 6v?

1985 Chevy Silverado Black and Silver SBC 350/700r4

Hot DAMN! The escalade is nicer than anything ive ever driven. Id hate to let my son drive it if i put all that work into it! lol. Looks SICK. Good to see the Black Pearl didn't die. Keep up the good work man.

By the way how did you power the radio? I thought the power wheels were 6v?

Lol, thanks. That's actually the best part is putting all that work into it and seeing the little man's face light up when he cruises the neighborhood!

Some are 6V, the escalades are 12V, so basically plug and play. But if you picked a 6V version it would be easy enough to modify to put a 12V battery into it, and stepping up to the 12V would just make it faster!

You can't rush quality, it doesn't happen overnight. Quality takes time and dedication, but the end results more than pay for it.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/67183-1985-buick-regal-limited-build-log/page-1

• 4 weeks later...

So even though it is colder than sin here, some progress was still made this weekend!

Working on mocking up all the suspension on the frame, making sure nothing rubs, no tweaks need to be made prior to shooting the color onto the frame and risk scratching it through that process. Anyways on with pictures!

Here is the rear axle and adjustable upper and lower trailing arms mounted up (can also see the chromed transmission cross member further up on the frame:)

IMG_0646_zps40c40d43.jpg

From the front view: (I know I am bias, but all the work we did to rebuild a stronger rear support system looks mean as hell in my opinion!)

IMG_0647_zps5c31eb04.jpg

Here's a closer pic of the rear suspension. Power balls, 3.5 ton full stack of coils in place, and cylinders mounted up:

IMG_0648_zps302a9f67.jpg

From the side:

IMG_0649_zps9c1b9dd6.jpg

As you can see in the last pic the cylinders are a little more angled forward than we would have liked, but adjusting the upper and lower trailing arms will get that back into place and more straight up and down.....prevent bending the cylinder.

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome work cant wait to see it finished

Thanks. You and me both! Lol.

wow, just went through your build log. everything looks fantastic!!! and love the cadilac, that's awesome that you did that for your kid :good:

Thanks! It was definitley fun building that for the little man. And the real enjoyment is watching him cruise it.

Anyways....back to work:

At this stage everything is going to take WAY longer than just normal assembly because we are putting everything back together and confirming fitment of everything so when final assembly rolls around everything is literally just bolted up. But for now we rebuilt the rear axle and bolted up the U-joint:

RearAxleassembly2_zpse0038045.jpg

RearAxleAssembly_zpsd2ff0e71.jpg

Well work continues. Didn't snap many pictures because it pretty much doesn't look like we did anything this weekend, but working on the fitment of the suspension so when things are in the finished state we won't have to be so gentle and worry about chipping paint and such! Lol.

Reardiscbreakkit_zpsd1af623a.jpg

Ended up getting the rear disc brake conversion kit all bolted up. As you can see the stud is far too long, I purchased ARP hardened racing studs to prevent them from snapping under extreme circumstances so we have to cut them down now. Also have to grind down the rear caliper and mold it a little to ensure it doesn't rubo on the rim, and then I will go ahead and powder coat those.

Archived