Sundown Audio

Amp Shuts Off

portchop002

I do have the gain all the way up

That's your problem!!!! You need to re-adjust your setting on that amp. I bet it's clipping. Turn your gain down and use the bass knob!!!! I would also turn that phase down to 0.

AudioControl
Rockford Fosgate
XSPower

a9cb521a-b3b0-4848-8950-41c45879dd3f_zps

send the amp in to get checked to be on the safeside

2007 Pontiac G6 on 20's

Current System-

Jensen VM-9312 in-dash

(1) Kicker 1500.1

(2) DD 1500 Series 12's

Running Knu Koncepts 1/0 wiring

145.6db- Floorboard

162.9db- Port

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1983 Toyota Corolla Station Wagon (SPL Vehicle)

(Under Reconstruction)

doesn't it take less power if the speakers are wired at 1 ohm's instead of 4ohm's?

Running a amp at 1 ohm is a bigger draw on the electrical system since the amp is putting out more power. All amps put out a higher wattage at a lower ohm load if they are stable and or have a good enough electrical system to back the ohm load. The lower the ohms you run your amp at causes more heat and heat can also make your amp run no where near efficiant as it would normally.

I'll give that a try, stupid question but what does the Phase really do because i've heard many different things

Too the best of my knowledge all phase really does is changes the firing of your subwoofers. You can get the same effect by wiring the pos and neg backwords on a speaker.

I do have the gain all the way up but i have no bass boost and everything else is very low, the subsonic is at 35Hz, the Phase is at about 90

Your gain should never be fully up, it is not a volume knob. You set your gain to the voltage of your pre amp outputs. Usually half way up is the most you every have to go unless you got some cheap headunit that has 1 volt preamp outputs. Refer to the gain setting turtioral.

When having your gain that far up you are causing your amp to put out distorted sound (even if you cant hear it) your amp is clipping and clipping means you are pushing your amp to its MAX which is causing heat and in return shutting off!

Your subsonic filter should be set to where ever your box is tuned at. If your box is tuned to 35hz, then have your subsonic at 35hz so anything below 35hz will be blocked out.

And as for phase, keep it at 0, you shouldnt need it at all.

Running a amp at 1 ohm is a bigger draw on the electrical system since the amp is putting out more power. All amps put out a higher wattage at a lower ohm load if they are stable and or have a good enough electrical system to back the ohm load. The lower the ohms you run your amp at causes more heat and heat can also make your amp run no where near efficiant as it would normally.

ah, taanx for the crash course :)

2007 Pontiac G6 on 20's

Current System-

Jensen VM-9312 in-dash

(1) Kicker 1500.1

(2) DD 1500 Series 12's

Running Knu Koncepts 1/0 wiring

145.6db- Floorboard

162.9db- Port

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1983 Toyota Corolla Station Wagon (SPL Vehicle)

(Under Reconstruction)

Thanks audiofanaticz that helped out alot im gunna put the Phase on 0 and my box is tuned to 35 Hz so i'll leave the subsonic at 35Hz but i have noticed that i will move more air if I have the Subsonic at about 25Hz could i do damage to the subs by tuning lower than the box is tunes at? Also if i put the gain at about half what should i turn up in turn should i just turn the bass up a little on the H/U since I currently have it set at -14 (the lowest it goes) or should i turn the turn up the bass boost on the amp a little (which is also at 0)

No Sponsors, No Stickers, No Replicas ALL GANGSTAhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/853307

You could turn your subsonic down, but Id try to keep it above 25hz for sure. Anything below 20hz is not even really audible so it dont pay to go down that low. I have had mine set around 25 for I dont know how long and never had a problom with it.

You could also turn up your bass on the head unit too if need be. Id probolly use the bass on the headunit before cranking up the bass boost on the amp. Unless you have a reason for your bass being -14 on the headunit (like your running your mids and tweets off the headunit and they distort with the bass turned up) but if your running amps too your front and rear stage play with the crossover on the amp to limit out the bass and the crossover on your headunit if you have one.

You can go right ahead and turn your bass boost up a little too if you wanted since its at zero, but again I wouldnt go too far. Id try it at a quarter of the way up or so and just go for a drive and listen to your stereo at the normal listening level (where the amp was cutting out before).

my hifonics bx 1500d did the same thing you amp is doing portchopp002. i had my gains way too high and when i turned the gains down i never had that problem again. it wasn't the fact that my amp got hot, heck it was cold outside and it takes way more than 30 seconds for an amp to get hot when it's a 1 ohm stable amp and is playing at 1 ohm. it would play fine at low volume but as soon as i crank it up for a few minutes then into protect mode it went. good luck man

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

Archived