Sonic Electronix

subwoofers just stopped working?

Gene, I have had nothing but trouble with those glass fuses. They can sometimes 'break' inside even if you don't blow it. One of my clients ran one of those and after about a month the fuse would take 16 volts in (don't know how, but w.e.) and spit a whopping three volts out. Try replacing the fuse and see what happens, or better yet, spring for an ANL holder and fuse.

Too many projects, too little time...

But its not that im not getting power, its that everytime i turn my music on my amp turns into protect mode... All the wires and eveything are fine, ive quadruple checked it all. Im thinking the amp just took a shit on me.

that could be a bad ground i had the same problem before. if your ground is vibrating it can cause arcing which will cause the amp to go into protection mode. i can pick up the pictures cause the stupid school filtering system. but if your ground in bolted to a painted surface it can also cause arcing. take some sandpaper and scratch the paint off. or if your ground is just screwed into the body itself. the screw could be coming loose and causing that. take like two or three self drilling screws and fasten it down tight. set the screws in a triangle pattern to minimize the vibration getting to the ground.

grounds are common problems with stuff like that. but be careful a bad ground can start melting stuff in your car or worse start a fire.

i dont know you exact problem again cause i cant see the pictures or how its wired. but i hope this helped. usually if you had a person from best buy or whatever installed it they wont sell you an amp that will destroy your subs. let alone they probly dont even have them strong enough to do any real damage.

The IrishmanDCSig.jpgCheck out my build hereXL 4th order wall build logIn Progress:alpine cda HU4th order Bandpass2xl 15's1- ab 400.1 (gonna be two hopefully)4- Crescendo 8's2- xts crecendo supertweeters

2 sq super tweetsMb quart 4.125Mechman 270a alt1- xs D27003- xs XP3000

4- odessey pc1700seller feed back threadhttp://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/136418-d-train-13k/

Gene, I have had nothing but trouble with those glass fuses. They can sometimes 'break' inside even if you don't blow it. One of my clients ran one of those and after about a month the fuse would take 16 volts in (don't know how, but w.e.) and spit a whopping three volts out. Try replacing the fuse and see what happens, or better yet, spring for an ANL holder and fuse.

yeah i agree. glass fuses are trouble. ive always been content with a good blade fuse. they re pretty tough to the elements but are still a good way to protect your amp from power surges and shorts

The IrishmanDCSig.jpgCheck out my build hereXL 4th order wall build logIn Progress:alpine cda HU4th order Bandpass2xl 15's1- ab 400.1 (gonna be two hopefully)4- Crescendo 8's2- xts crecendo supertweeters

2 sq super tweetsMb quart 4.125Mechman 270a alt1- xs D27003- xs XP3000

4- odessey pc1700seller feed back threadhttp://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/136418-d-train-13k/

I am still guessing it is a bad ground. They make your amp go into protect mode. If you absolutley think your ground is good tear your amp apart and look at it. make sure everything is intact and not fried or black. make sure solder points are good.Look at power and ground spots inside and make sure they are all intact. everything can be ok with the wires and sub and you could have a problem inside your amplifier.

^ To add on to what Ben Gay said, take pics of the guts as well. A lot of knowledgeable people on here and they might be able to notice things in the pics.

that could be a bad ground i had the same problem before. if your ground is vibrating it can cause arcing which will cause the amp to go into protection mode. i can pick up the pictures cause the stupid school filtering system. but if your ground in bolted to a painted surface it can also cause arcing. take some sandpaper and scratch the paint off. or if your ground is just screwed into the body itself. the screw could be coming loose and causing that. take like two or three self drilling screws and fasten it down tight. set the screws in a triangle pattern to minimize the vibration getting to the ground.

grounds are common problems with stuff like that. but be careful a bad ground can start melting stuff in your car or worse start a fire.

i dont know you exact problem again cause i cant see the pictures or how its wired. but i hope this helped. usually if you had a person from best buy or whatever installed it they wont sell you an amp that will destroy your subs. let alone they probly dont even have them strong enough to do any real damage.

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT DO THIS! Get the correct size BOLT not a stupid screw. They're people on here who have had nightmares because a "professional" shop installed his ground using 3 screws LMAO how hard is it to take the time and money to properly wire up an amp? Why risk starting a car fire?

1998 Plymouth Voyager (daily)

Jensen VM9213 H.U. (I Know but I havent had any problems.... yet)

5.25" Factory -> Sound Stream SST5.2

6x9 Hifonics ZXi 693 -> Sound Stream SST6.9

Amp: Class D: Crescendo 3KWP (x2)

Class A/B: Crescendo 1000C4

Sub: Almani S-7 10" (x6)

hate to burst your bubble, but i've owned 5 visonik amps. every one of them died with the protect light on and never came alive again. (i didnt pay for 5, they kept sending me new ones)

Current Setup:

Factory HU with LOC

mids/highs-Insignia components

Sub- E8 in bass tube

Amp- sae-1200d

Show Setup:

HU-Sony MEX-1HD (brings massive respect for sony)

fronts - Infinity Kappa perfect comps

rears- Infinity Kappa coax

mid/high amp - Autotek 5600

Subs - 2 RE SE 15's

Sub Amps - 2xSAE-1200D

Box - 5cubes sealed

Wire- Lots of Knu 1/0

SECOND SKIN

hate to burst your bubble, but i've owned 5 visonik amps. every one of them died with the protect light on and never came alive again. (i didnt pay for 5, they kept sending me new ones)

:blink:

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

Archived