any DJs out there?need help with setup!

alright well,for the speakers/amps/cabins im looking to spend around 3500-4000$$

i contacted my local shop called "sam ash" and they said they can price match,so monday ill be heading there to see what we can get set up,

but before i go in id like to research and get some advice as to what to get,dont wanna go into the Dj shop and not know anything and they try to bullsh*t me.. this is what i have so far,any advice or opinions would be nice,maybe you can show me some other brands,series etc

-subwoofers-i was looking into JBL MRX series,maybe 2 18'' inch subs,2 single cabins or a dual cabin.

-loudspeakers-maybe the MRX 525 series,2 15'' speakers in one cabin

-amps-they said they dont have behringer ep 2500's-but they have a brand that is a little better in quality but still good pricing.im not sure of the brand

-turntables-(need 2)said they could order technics 1200's,but didnt say if they will still price match those if they order,maybe they will.

-laptops-they sell only apple,but im looking into buying a decent laptop off craigslist used for around 400.

-mixer-not a clue on what to get

-sL3 or SL1-i hear you can record your mixes with Sl3 but not on sl1

-headphones-

im not Set on the equipment said above,but thats just what im thinking about getting so far.(special thanks to MickyMcD for the help)

planning on spending 3500-4000 on the speakers/amps/cabins alone..maybe less if i could find some deals.

havent priced the turntables/mixers to see how much i would want to spend,

around 300-400 for a laptop,used is fine.

also if you guys know of any good deals or websites with the best prices that the shop can "verify" the price to match.that would be great =)

if you need more detail let me know and ill answer!thanks for all the help

2001 Black Monte Carlo SS chrome 20''

(1) Alpine i-9881 deck-ipod-

(2) DC lvl 4XL 18''s-Walled-

(1) DAT Hellfire - 2500.1-fused-

(1) D3400 XS Power battery-fused-

(2) CDT 6.5 comp

(X) pioneer 6x9 set

(1) RF T-400.4

(1) DC POWER ALT INSTALLED BY ROB FTW,Big3

(1) Viper 5901 Alarm + killer yorkies and chihuahas

[EdgarCervantes] 4:31 pm: im in my room and out of nowere i hear bass im like oh shit sombody has

bass in this city, i look out the window and its my mom bumping Gorilla Zoe

2x Peavey PV 215 Dual 15" 2-Way Speaker Cabinet (#104005137)

Availability: In Stock

Condition: New

$599.98

8x Monster Cable Standard S-100 1/4" - 1/4" Speaker Cable

(10 Foot) (#102469640)

$159.60

4x Live Wire Advantage 14GA Speaker Cable

(50 Foot) (#100316381)

$159.96

2x Live Wire Advantage 12GA Speakon-Speakon Speaker Cable

(50 Foot) (#100561802)

$119.98

2x Ultimate Support TS-80B Standard Speaker Stand

(Black) (#450567 001)

$159.98

2x Peavey PV115 2-Way 15" Speaker Cabinet (#104005129)

$439.98

2x Behringer EP2000 EUROPOWER Power Amp (#582001)

$599.98

2x JBL JBL MRX518S Single 18" Subwoofer (#103861068)

$1,379.98

Gator GRR-6L Roller ATA-Style Deluxe Rack Case (#541176)

$189.99

Behringer SUPER-X PRO CX2310 Crossover (#182466)

$79.99

Shure PG58 Mic and Stand 3-Pack (#600334)

$159.99

Behringer VMX300 3-Channel Pro Scratch Mixer (#802022)

$149.99

Subtotal: $4,199.40

Current Setup:

Factory HU with LOC

mids/highs-Insignia components

Sub- E8 in bass tube

Amp- sae-1200d

Show Setup:

HU-Sony MEX-1HD (brings massive respect for sony)

fronts - Infinity Kappa perfect comps

rears- Infinity Kappa coax

mid/high amp - Autotek 5600

Subs - 2 RE SE 15's

Sub Amps - 2xSAE-1200D

Box - 5cubes sealed

Wire- Lots of Knu 1/0

SECOND SKIN

nice!!hotshot27...that was better feedback then i got from a damn Dj Mobile Forum lmao.(been waiting for a few days for a comment)

will def. help me choose my setup.ill be looking at this stuff when i hit the store,

in the mean time ill google for pics and specs!!

thanks again! can always count on SMD :hairtrick:

(2) CDT 6.5 comp

(X) pioneer 6x9 set

(1) RF T-400.4

[EdgarCervantes] 4:31 pm: im in my room and out of nowere i hear bass im like oh shit sombody has

The 1200's are badass. I recently attached a new RCA cable to one that's been in use for YEARS, still going strong.

IMO look for active cabs. If you're gonna be pretty mobile they're much more versatile. Then just get yourself some long ass XLR cables and you can deck out a venue real quick since you can easily move speakers around with just a couple of power extension cords.

And don't skimp on monitors, whatever you plan to use ;)

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

-turntables-(need 2)said they could order technics 1200's,but didnt say if they will still price match those if they order,maybe they will.

-laptops-they sell only apple,but im looking into buying a decent laptop off craigslist used for around 400.

-mixer-not a clue on what to get

I am not proud to be saying this but skip the vinyl dude. It's a pain in the ass and you'll be able to do the same stuff and much more with some CD turntables.

The same thing goes for CD turntables except it isn't Technics but Pioneer CDJ-1000's that are the absolute standard. They run $1500 new a piece but you should be able to find some nice ones used for under $1000 a piece. Otherwise go all out and get the new CDJ-2000's and you'll be very happy (about $1700 I think).

Imagine being able to play any song? I mean any song, even if you only can find it on youtube you can play it (although not recommended for all your songs, but it will sound ok for the occasional track).

Mixers are even more pricey. If you do go with the CDJ2000's you might want to get a mixer that allows video because among the many new features is DVD capability (imagine spinning video and scratching it like a record!).

I don't know any good brands now, but you basically want 4 channel mixer with all the levels, good headphone outs and good compatibility with other gadgets (if you want to run the laptop you can put in special CD's just like on vinyl tables that will let you play the laptop songs as though they were on the CD).

Also helps to have a few crossover effects, hi med low cross.

images-1.jpg

The 1200's are badass. I recently attached a new RCA cable to one that's been in use for YEARS, still going strong.

IMO look for active cabs. If you're gonna be pretty mobile they're much more versatile. Then just get yourself some long ass XLR cables and you can deck out a venue real quick since you can easily move speakers around with just a couple of power extension cords.

And don't skimp on monitors, whatever you plan to use ;)

wil add XLR cables to the list,and active cabs aswell,,do you prefer low freq?

(2) CDT 6.5 comp

(X) pioneer 6x9 set

(1) RF T-400.4

Behringer VMX300 3-Channel Pro Scratch Mixer (#802022)

$149.99

Props getting it all together and on budget and all but that mixer is garbage! Wow. Put it this way, would you install a $140 amp in your car?

I mean, really.. maybe it doesn't quite make the best analogy, but even the connections and circutry in that mixer are very cheap and are going to be almost guaranteed to eventually wear out and buzz and sound like ass.

I guess that is fine for a beginner, but not if you want to have this nice PA and setup. The mixer is almost the most important thing, actually it is.. it is how you shape the sound coming out.

You get what you pay for. Ad another zero to that and you might be able to find something quality.

images-1.jpg

Like I said in my PM;

Bi-amplifiy the MRX cabinets. The MRX515 does appreciate an active corssover network, the DCX2496 I specified will be able to handle the filtering, dynamics and time alignment required to do this properly. A pair of MRX sub-low speakers will do you fine, and give you the option of using one, two, or no low frequency bins depending on the size of the venue, target audience etc.

I would stay away from the PV series of loudspeakers. They are a far cry from the old SP series that gives Peavey it's 'Can't kill it with an axe' motto.

So;

3 x EP2500 (or similar)

2 x MRX515

2 x MRX518

1 x DCX2496

1 x 10RU Rolling Rack

4 x SpeakON leads (IMPORTANT - THEY MUST BE FOUR CORE AND HAVE NL4 CONNECTORS)

This gives you a Front Of House system with linearity and a wide frequency range with less time smear than a standard FOH setup. It gives you flexibility, power, and reliability. Plus, the little orange JBL logo gets you gigs. I don't agree with it, but it does.

You choose your input source.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

I am not proud to be saying this but skip the vinyl dude. It's a pain in the ass and you'll be able to do the same stuff and much more with some CD turntables.

The same thing goes for CD turntables except it isn't Technics but Pioneer CDJ-1000's that are the absolute standard. They run $1500 new a piece but you should be able to find some nice ones used for under $1000 a piece. Otherwise go all out and get the new CDJ-2000's and you'll be very happy (about $1700 I think).

Imagine being able to play any song? I mean any song, even if you only can find it on youtube you can play it (although not recommended for all your songs, but it will sound ok for the occasional track).

Mixers are even more pricey. If you do go with the CDJ2000's you might want to get a mixer that allows video because among the many new features is DVD capability (imagine spinning video and scratching it like a record!).

I don't know any good brands now, but you basically want 4 channel mixer with all the levels, good headphone outs and good compatibility with other gadgets (if you want to run the laptop you can put in special CD's just like on vinyl tables that will let you play the laptop songs as though they were on the CD).

Also helps to have a few crossover effects, hi med low cross.

those CDJ 1000's are nice but kind of out of my budget to get 2 decks for 3k,still need all kinds of equipment.maybe in the future ill add them,also SL3"scratch live Dj" will allow me to play any song from my laptop,and scratch with vinyl turntables,comes with special vinyl records/CDJ CDs

and yeah that does sound nice to spin/scratch videos

ill try to price a setup with CDJ 1000's and see what they will come up to

input appriciated!

Edited by Mellow18

(2) CDT 6.5 comp

(X) pioneer 6x9 set

(1) RF T-400.4