I got one of "those" calls today...

I hate people who don't try to learn at least something about what they are going to buy. There's no reason someone shouldn't learn the basics about subs and amps before buying something. They are just asking to get screwed over.

as468x60pxbanner.gif

My Youtube Page. Check it out

The "SAV" - Sub-aural Assault Vehicle

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Image Dynamics CTX 6.5" Components

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

CDT 6.5" CL-E6NEO Front door Midbass

Kicker ZX350.4

Knukonceptz SS Karma 4 channel 6m RCA

Fi Q 18" w/ brushed aluminum dust cap

7cu ft. ported box tuned to 28hz

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Iraggi 240 amp Amputator Alt

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

Second Skin Damplifier Lite on roof and front doors

everyone gets these calls every now and then. an old friend of mine just called me up today and said he just had a system put in at a shop and wanted to see if i could tune it tonight. well sure, why not. ill just bust out the o-scope and itll take about 30 seconds to set his gain, no big deal... of corse the local audio shops couldnt make it that easy now could they... but 1st lets talk about his setup. two 12" hifonics subs dvc 4ohm, powered by one powerbass or powermaster, whatever the fuck it is, 1000w MAX power amp. they left him the boxs so i look at them 1st. subs are rated for 300rms and the amp puts out 70w at 2ohm. he was a little pissed when i told him that lol.

now onto the install. 1st i notice (surprise surprise) his gain is all the way up and the bass boost is 3/4 the way up. turned them both down, setup the scope and it starts to clip at 1/4 gain. so you know he must have had a square wave before lol. then i think... well i wonder what they wired it to... pull out the dmm and it says *drum roll* 8ohms! thats right, they wired it in series. so we rewired it and he went on his way. says he will return the amp asap and might buy an old one i have sitting around the house.

i told him i was shocked he didnt call me before buying it and that i dont trust shops. i think he understands why now lol. im sure this story wont surprise anyone but i just thought i would add it to the shop failure list.

this reminds me when i went to a shop my first time getting into the audio and had 2 pioneer (blue subs) wired on a crunch 2chan amp that they suggested to me. i didnt know any better so i said yeah sure. when i decided to tinker around with the amp, i notice the gain was turned all the way up along with bass knob all the way up. subs were wired correctly but i just find it funny looking back on it all. i asked them to tune my amp for me (so they just turned all the knobs up for me) lmao those were the days

2 AQ 10'' HDC3 copper subs

1 3500d AQ amp

146.3db on TL with stock electrical in single cab truck at 32hz

RESULT: 1st place at comp, 3rd overall out of 20 cars

You think they would have more pride in their install, after all, they don't want to damage any reputation.. or the equipment they plan to steal back.

:shok: oh snap, he went there.

lol i know some shope do good work but ive been to a lot around here and ive been very disapointed with all of them. even something as basic as buying speaker wire turned into a fight at one shop because i didnt let him pon off some 18awg as 12awg to me.

i do know of one shop in union city thats pretty good but they are only good because of one installer. the owner is still an idiot and the store looks like hell, and the other installers are pickups from home depot.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Theirs only two local shop that I don't mind going to if i need to, the guys seem to know whats going on and even the owner is in the bay doing installs and making boxes (actually, he's the only guy who will make boxes there). The other semi-local shop is pretty good with just a few guys who work there and i personally know one of the installers their. Another local shop has a careless attitude and have people working there that don't know much of anything and they actually refused to make a box for me because they said I was wrong about how much room could fit in my hatch if ported, though I've seen it done, so i took it to the first shop and the owner built it and even ported it. I try to learn what I'm doing before going to a shop but i always learn something new and if I'm still stuck i ask for help, rather ask then do it wrong and ruin something.

Edited by cfallsguy

i only have one local shop around here... its a nice shop but their installs can be questionable... ive seen some nice installs come out of there and ive also seen some crappy ones... but ive never had anything installed there personally... id rather do it myself than to pay someone i dont trust 50 bux an hour... they used to sell alot of audio but their car audio section is lacking now adays since they dropped a few of the lines that made them popular...

they used to sell:

Diamond Audio

MTX

Rockford Fosgate

Eclipse

SoundStream

Phoenix Gold

Alpine

Sony

Fusion

Kenwood

xtant

and a few others that i cant remember..

Now they only sell:

JL Audio

Kicker

Alpine

Kenwood

and TMA by JL Audio

i think thats about it... its pretty lame if you ask me.. they only sell the really shitty stuff and the way overpriced shitty stuff...

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

i was at my very first audio show (futureshop was holding it) and they had this guy there with a bronco with 12 12s or 8 12s something ridiculously stupid clarion subs and 4-8 mtx amps all wallled and shit and the guy paid like 12k for it all and it didnt even break a 145 and he was reving the shit out of the bronco, i ended up beating him with my shitty wall (first ever built) my 9515 and crossfire vr4000d with a 147

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

i was at my very first audio show (futureshop was holding it) and they had this guy there with a bronco with 12 12s or 8 12s something ridiculously stupid clarion subs and 4-8 mtx amps all wallled and shit and the guy paid like 12k for it all and it didnt even break a 145 and he was reving the shit out of the bronco, i ended up beating him with my shitty wall (first ever built) my 9515 and crossfire vr4000d with a 147

LOL what happened after

That's a bummer cause you know your friend was embarrased after you told him what he bought. You would think in todays world of the internet and forums like this one that shops would get a little better at realizing how much knowledge can be gained by newbies before they go to a shop. There will always be a market for shops because some people don't have the skills to do an install or are too busy. My brother just got a new Vette Z06 with a Lingenfelter upgrade and I have to admit, I'm not taking it apart! Too bad shops have to resort to selling crap to make a buck. I always say, you can sucker someone once, but they will never come back for return business, so it's really not worth it.

Arc Audio

Pioneer

Memphis

Massive

Mechman

Rockford Fosgate

Dakota Digital

Soon to be DC audio!!!

LOL what happened after

he got pissed off drove off pumping limp bizkit only to return later to say his amps wernt on propperly only 2 were working and futurshop backed him up saying he would have beat me it was fun

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0