I got one of "those" calls today...

everyone gets these calls every now and then. an old friend of mine just called me up today and said he just had a system put in at a shop and wanted to see if i could tune it tonight. well sure, why not. ill just bust out the o-scope and itll take about 30 seconds to set his gain, no big deal... of corse the local audio shops couldnt make it that easy now could they... but 1st lets talk about his setup. two 12" hifonics subs dvc 4ohm, powered by one powerbass or powermaster, whatever the fuck it is, 1000w MAX power amp. they left him the boxs so i look at them 1st. subs are rated for 300rms and the amp puts out 70w at 2ohm. he was a little pissed when i told him that lol.

now onto the install. 1st i notice (surprise surprise) his gain is all the way up and the bass boost is 3/4 the way up. turned them both down, setup the scope and it starts to clip at 1/4 gain. so you know he must have had a square wave before lol. then i think... well i wonder what they wired it to... pull out the dmm and it says *drum roll* 8ohms! thats right, they wired it in series. so we rewired it and he went on his way. says he will return the amp asap and might buy an old one i have sitting around the house.

i told him i was shocked he didnt call me before buying it and that i dont trust shops. i think he understands why now lol. im sure this story wont surprise anyone but i just thought i would add it to the shop failure list.

Edited by skittlesRgood

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

yes there is only one local shop i would trust here but still wouldnt buy anything from them

it makes me sad how some shops are out for the money n screwin ppl over

how are u supposed to run a reputable business while ripping people off and having there build sound n look like crap

EDIT sometimes its just lack of knowledge on both parts

Edited by joni13

RIP The 03 prix!

New Ride

2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71

4 DC LVL 4 18s (2 currently installed)

2 DC PAI.2000 (1 currently installed)

1 DC PAI-120.4

there is only one good shop (i trust) in my town

the head guy in the bay is one of the guys i got most of my audio smarts from (be4 smd)

and they work is top work no bull shit 1/2 fast stuff

CDyneSi_zps9638e5fa.jpg

VbjgkeI_zpsdd2219ec.jpg

deepsilencer, on 22 Aug 2011 - 17:32, said:

splzx3, on 22 Aug 2011 - 17:27, said:

i had my fun on one of his videos...till he blocked me then i got my mother into it lol after her he closed the comments xD

lol your mom is a G! good.gif

WTF, I never thought I'd have a conversation about cross dressers and trans-genders on a car audio forum.

ya, shop fail...

can i borrow ur o-scope? lol

lol if only you were closer matt.

yes there is only one local shop i would trust here but still wouldnt buy anything from them

it makes me sad how some shops are out for the money n screwin ppl over

how are u supposed to run a reputable business while ripping people off and having there build sound n look like crap

EDIT sometimes its just lack of knowledge on both parts

i only have one shop i trust as well but even they dont do great work. they just dont do it wrong. but these guys seemed to give him a fairly good deal. subs, amp, box and install for $250.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

i bought a car from a friend came with an audiobnahn 18 inch subwoofer, got out the DMM sure as shit was wired to 8 ohm, i was like WTF,

you can see the video if your bored at

youtube.com/user/guitar1111111

2nd page or something

just goes to show shops don't know how to wire shit.. MOST SHOPS.. MOST..

Team sundownWESTCOASTSPL.COM we're throwing dbdrag events very soon visit the website for details

o i've seen shops run power wire through the door

WTF.......

but 250 for all was not bad

when i still had access to my wholesale book i bought like 20 of those hifonics subs they were something like 15 bucks at cost they were shit tho i ended up socketing half of them and got what i paid for the resst

RIP The 03 prix!

New Ride

2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71

4 DC LVL 4 18s (2 currently installed)

2 DC PAI.2000 (1 currently installed)

1 DC PAI-120.4

there are a lot of shops out there that do work that comes out show quality and correct every time, even on a basic 300 dollar job with 10 guage.

then again theres shops that will chargge thousands and make a battery rack that is basically 4 batteries tucked behind the middle row with sloppy scrap 0g with crimped on connectors and no fuses connecting them together

go to shows, talk to people, and almost any shop that does good work will have a book or pictures of their past projects. you kinda just have to do some research before you trust your car and your money with a shop.

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC