HID's keep blowing fuse

On my dads 00' navigator i installed some HID's about a month ago. Last night he said that his headlights, both high and low, went out. He has 9007 hi/low bulbs. they are run off of a wiring harness that i had to install. so the power goes right to the battery and the ground goes right to the body. the only connection between the HID's and the factory wiring is at the bulb plug on the passenger side. When installing these you have take one of the plugs that would originally plug into the stock bulbs and plug it into the wiring harness.

I have tried unplugging each bulb leaving the other plugged on and every time i turn the lights on the fuse blows. if i disconnect both HID's then turn the lights on the fuse does not blow. I am at a loss here.

To be clear the fuse that is blowing is the one that is inline with the wiring harness that i installed, not the factory headlight fuse.

If you need more info to help me just ask, i cannot try anything till after i get off work but please if you have a suggestion throw it out there. Thanks

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

Maybe you have a bad ballast

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

I would first look at the wiring and make sure everything is good.

Second, is the fuse rating for the harness the same as the factory circuit?

Then I would make sure that your fuse rating is big enough to supply current for the startup. You will want to check with the supplier to see what the amperage draw is on these and make sure the fuse is of the correct size.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

I could ground to the battery, don't really have a reason as to why i didn't.

The factory fuse is 20A and the fuse that was in the harness is 20A.

At lunch i did a once over the harness and everything looked ok but there is a plastic cover on Fords/Lincolns that i need to remove to get a good look at everything, so when i get off i will pull that off and check again.

How can you tell if you have a bad ballast? On second thought though, i did try unplugging each light one at a time leaving the other plugged in and i got the same results so i don't think that's the case, unless they are both bad.

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

actually when i was testing on my lunch break i did everything with the truck off. i would unplug a light install a new fuse and turn the headlight switch on.

d(-__-)b

well im going to try a few things, wish me luck.

If anyone can think of anything else to try you can text or call me since i will be outside

804-479-6050 or email since i get that on my phone [email protected]

d(-__-)b

The next think you will need to do is check for a dead short. One ballast should never pull that kind of amperage. Now you need to meter and see where its at It's either in the harness or the ballasts

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

After testing my stock headlight plugs i found that they are OK and puting out like they should

Next i unplugged the harness from the ballast and tested the harness output and i got nothing. So at the point in the harness that is supposed to power the ballast there was 0 volts.

So at this point i would like to contract everytime i tried to push DDM Tuning. They have great prices, decent customer service (as far as answering the phone and tech support). But my HID's have a lifetime warranty, when i called them and asked for there help they were glad to assist me. First they tried to blame my wiring, then the stock vehicle wiring, then they blamed my ground and finally when i did all my testing and found that it was there harness they offered to get me a new one......after they receive mine back first. I tried to explain to them that the vehicle that these headlights is only driven twice a day. Once at 4AM when its dark and again at 6-7PM when its dark (part of the year, you know). They told me how much they understand and how much they would like to help me but they must get the harness back before sending me my new one.

Now i would think that they would be all about getting the customer right. Especially when that customer uses his vehicle to drive in the dark everyday. Oh they did offer to sell me a harness and then refund me when i send mine in....but theres an "administration fee". Rant rant rant :D

Thanks for everyones help tho.

d(-__-)b