Sonic Electronix

Carpeting your self made custom box

Have a little problem i just recently built a 8.8 cubic feet box tuned to 36hz for my two Aq sdc 16 subs and i want to carpet it.

Problem is a long time ago i used 3m adhesive spray and it worked at first but after a while in my truck the carpet was ripping off and essentially the bond was not strong like when i first attached it.

I need to know what you guys recommend me using just got my carpet from the mail not too high quality but it looks good. I heard about contact cement but when i tested it on the side panel of my box i let it dry but when i put my layer of carpet(which i also put cement on and dry) it would not stick not even a little. My contact cement is from home depot i think water based but what did i do wrong? Is there a product you recommend? I have a feeling the wood is sucking up all of the layer of contact cement im putting so when i think it is 'dry' really the cement has gotten sucked in by the wood. Please let me know.

1st Setup(SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 Audioque SDC2.5 15 subs8.7 cubes at 37hz build DONEAudioque 1200d (Audioque 1200d Sold, similar performance to my ap1500)Diamond Audio Hex 6.5 Mids n TweetsCerwin Vega Exl 400 4 channel Bridged(also have MTX 4004 not being used)1 Run of power Knu Fleks 4 Gauge2 Cheap stock Battery setup2nd Setup (SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 15 Kicker cvx (maybe two SA 15 in future)7 cubes net tuned at 34hzAlphasonik Old school 1600rms (ap 1500d sold GREAT Budget amp)JBL 6.5 Power Series Components, Infinity Kappa 6.5 3 ways, and 2 Kicker KS Tweets (LOUD)Cerwin vega exl4001 run knu Fleks OFC 0 gaugeBig 3 done1 Odyssey 1500, 1 optima yellow top d31

I have use contact cement but i don't think the water base are good for the carpet. I think are different kind of contact cement. The one that look kinda caramel's good. The contact cement water base Might be good for fleece because i use thos and it stick hard. You can trying using 3m spray adhesive..

you can buy real upholstery glue and spray it through an air gun for best results http:// www.perfectfit.com/24783/148343/Upholstery-Adhesives/Dap-All-Purpose-Adhesive-Spray-Grade.html

remove the space between // and www

On 4/20/2010 at 10:06 PM, 'cc_audio' said:

Guys are just like girls, once you've had 18 inches you don't go back.

2004 GMC Yukon XL

Pioneer AVH-X4700BS

13 band EQ

Sub Amp- (2) PPI 5000BD.1

(2) Re SXX 15's 8 cu. ft. box tuned to 32 Hz

(4) 6.5 Bose Mids

(2) 1" Bose Tweets

(2) 1.5" Bose Tweets

(1) JY 80 AH w/ new JY busses

(1) Duracell 750 up front 

Apex Alternators 270

A.C. Delco 160 alternato

Have a little problem i just recently built a 8.8 cubic feet box tuned to 36hz for my two Aq sdc 16 subs and i want to carpet it.

Problem is a long time ago i used 3m adhesive spray and it worked at first but after a while in my truck the carpet was ripping off and essentially the bond was not strong like when i first attached it.

I need to know what you guys recommend me using just got my carpet from the mail not too high quality but it looks good. I heard about contact cement but when i tested it on the side panel of my box i let it dry but when i put my layer of carpet(which i also put cement on and dry) it would not stick not even a little. My contact cement is from home depot i think water based but what did i do wrong? Is there a product you recommend? I have a feeling the wood is sucking up all of the layer of contact cement im putting so when i think it is 'dry' really the cement has gotten sucked in by the wood. Please let me know.

Edited by jl10w3s

(2001 Dodge Durango R/T)

1- XS Power D2700

1-Alpine CDE-HD149BT (Head Unit)

1 pr.- Focal Polyglass 165v30 (Front Stage)

1 pr.- Hybrid Audio Technologies C61-2 (Rear Fill)

1-Kenwood Excelon XR-1S (Sub Amp)

1-Kenwood Excelon XR-4S (Mids-N-Highs Amp)

2- JL 10 W3v3-4 (Subs)

-2.3 Cubes tuned to 32 hz

1-1/0 ga. & Big III in 1/0

140 @45 hz db drag legal

(2008 Toyota Highlander Limited ---build in the works)

1- Kenwood DDX470 (Head Unit)

1 pr.- JL C3-650 (Front Stage)

1 pr.- JL C2-525 (Rear Fill, may upgrade to 6.5" C2 or C3 instead)

1- JL XD-400/4 (Mids-N-Highs Amp)

1- JL XD-600/1 (Sub Amp)

1- XS Power D3400

1- JL 10w3v3-2 (Sub)

1- JL 2 Ga. Amp Kit

1- BIG 3 in 1/0

1- self-built Fiberglass sub enclosure

I use contact cement in the red can from home depot and apply it with a throw a way brush. The first layer will suck into the wood but i spread it on thick and even. Ive never had a problem with my carpet coming off.

See thats what i did i went to home depot and got the dap weldwood contact cement but problem is you got the original red one and i got the dap weldwood green can one that says NON FLAMMABLE WATER BASED. What do i do stay with this one and just pour a large amount on my box and hope it doesnt suck all of it off? or did i waste my money? Here is a link to the one i bought:

dap weldwood green

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 Audioque SDC2.5 15 subs8.7 cubes at 37hz build DONEAudioque 1200d (Audioque 1200d Sold, similar performance to my ap1500)Diamond Audio Hex 6.5 Mids n TweetsCerwin Vega Exl 400 4 channel Bridged(also have MTX 4004 not being used)1 Run of power Knu Fleks 4 Gauge2 Cheap stock Battery setup2nd Setup (SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 15 Kicker cvx (maybe two SA 15 in future)7 cubes net tuned at 34hzAlphasonik Old school 1600rms (ap 1500d sold GREAT Budget amp)JBL 6.5 Power Series Components, Infinity Kappa 6.5 3 ways, and 2 Kicker KS Tweets (LOUD)Cerwin vega exl4001 run knu Fleks OFC 0 gaugeBig 3 done1 Odyssey 1500, 1 optima yellow top d31

the 3m spray works great for me... but i use felt to cover my enclosures....

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

I don't have much experience with it, but couldn't you primer the box to stop it from absorbing the glue?

Im not sure does anybody know what i can use to stop the cement from getting sucked in? Maybe i should put one coat then another, then one more and dry it with a heating gun?